Are my T5's good for...?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by ThatGuyWithFish, May 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ThatGuyWithFish

ThatGuyWithFish Astrea Snail

So was doing some reading online. I'm finally getting into lighting for my 10 gallon nano. Read, read and read some more. Seems like most people were using either a nova 24" odyssea 24". So i went ahead and bought a odyssea 24" dual 48watt version 1 24watt 10k and 1 24watt actinic. Now this is already an upgrade from my 2 10watt reefsun 50/50's which i was using since i was doing fowlr. But now finally stepping into reef.

So with this new fixture what would i be able to keep. Sps, lps? And will i see a drastic improvement in lighting, growth?

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Yes,I think you will see a drastic improvement.It would probably be good to start with some soft corals and/or easier to keep lps.You probably could keep sps in the upper part of the tank,but it might be better to start with softies or lps.It would also be good to upgrade your bulbs to ATI or Geisseman when it's time to replace them.This would give you an even greater improvement.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would upgrade your bulbs to ATI or Giesmann. Are they individual reflectors?

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Definitely dump the bulbs and order new before you even fire it up. Those bulbs are straight junk. Aquacave and a couple others even have holiday weekend sales on bulbs.

Start with less light demanding corals and work your way up is the best best. At the same time start with everything on the bottom as you introduce it then raise or lower as needed.

6. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

I've always used t5. Excellent soft and LPS growth. I can keep SPS, but growth is super slow. ATI bulbs are a must, feeding once in a while helps too.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I concur

8. Click Here!

9. ThatGuyWithFish

Awesome! Thanks guys! Can you give me links to the aforementioned bulbs you recommended? Also i believe they are individual reflectors if not i hear the ole' tin foil trick should help a bit.

Also i know this isn't the best lighting. But gotta put my foot in the door at some point. lol

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

After recommending that, I can't seem to find 18" ATI or Giesemann bulbs. :-/

11. ThatGuyWithFish

:( uh oh

12. ThatGuyWithFish