Are my LED's too bright for...

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by adamwheel, Feb 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adamwheel

adamwheel Plankton

I have the Innovative Marine Mini 38 with 92 Watt 14k LED's. It's finished cycling and I'm adding the CUC next week.

Just trying to do my research on this pretty much day and night and actually being patient.

Question(s): These lights are bright. Are there corals that I won't even be able to place at the bottom of the tank with these lights?

When I do add them, will everything start at the bottom and move up from there?

Will I need to only run the lights for a few hours each day to acclimate them? Not dimmable to my knowledge.

I'm a newbie, so apologies if this is added to the wrong forum.

Cheers,

Adam

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I have 216 watts of LED on a 57g. I'm sure there is something that doesn't want that much light, but I have yet to meet it. The sun puts out 2000 par. Some species grow away from that and can't take a lot, but anything that grows near the surface is not overly impressed. I got in an email exchange with a guy at ORA once and asked how much light I needed. Without knowing what I had, he said more is better.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Corals adapt to dim light faster. However, long term, if acclimated properly, will generally do better with more light. There is certainly a point that you can have too much for certain corals. I don't think you need 2000 PAR LOL, but any coral should be able to handle 100 PAR or so (probably more like 300) and higher demand corals should be able to do okay down to 200-300 PAR. Some high demand corals will definitely do much better with 600+ though. So, having a gradient is good, if you want to keep a mix of corals. Or ledges can be used to shade certain corals. Most corals can be acclimated though (although it can take months sometimes), so better to err on the side of too much light IMHO. I seriously doubt you have "too much" though.