Are My Leathers Dying??

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Durty Dj's 916, May 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Inherited a decent sized leather colony yesterday I have never evrer owned coral before. They are starting to droop I'm not sure if this is gravity doing this because they are to heavy or if they are dying. They are still pretty hard to the touch so i could be wrong but honestly have no idea. I also inherited a toad stool and it hasn't opened yet how long could that take up to?? I also inherited some polyps but they are doing great opened up fully with no problems

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like normal leather coral behavior. Give them a couple days, make sure they have mod flow and check basic water chemistry if you have not. Leathers can be really sensitive during acclimation, or after a change in location, they are hardy and usually spring back.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, although it may take a bit longer after being moved/disturbed. Make sure they have adequate flow- IMOPE, thick-bodied leathers prefer more than their frilly cousins, up to 40x.