Are my clownfish bre eding??

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Indiana Boy, Oct 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently added a mated pair of clownfish to my 55 reef. At night time they gather in the front corner of my tank and roll around on each other and swim against each other. I have noticed that they had begun to dig a depresion in the sand. tonite when i got home i noticed that they had made a 2 inch deep depression in the sand in the corner from rolling around. Are my clownfish mating? It seems to me that they are, but i am new at this and would like some other opinions.
    I know that the person who had the pair before me kept them in one of his table tanks for corals and that he didnt use night leds at all. could this have something to do with why they are spawning (if they are) in my tank?
    thank you.
    i will upload video footage soon if requested, i just dont have the cable to upload it right now.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback
    JP
    attached are two pics of my clownfish and two pics of the depression in the corner of my tank made by the fish. i took it in the dark with a flashlight. ( i didnt want to bring my nightlights back on again, they have already cycled off)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sounds very much like courtship behaviour to me Indiana Boy

they normally pick a more sheltered location, but they could lay eggs against the side glass if they feel that area is the most suitable

normally it would be on the rock work and close to the nem or alternative hosting site they had chosed

Steve

4. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks again for being so helpful steve. ya, my tank is 5 weeks old so no nem for me. but i have 80+lbs of rock in my 55, it seems as though they could find a better spot. yes, i thought it was courtship behavior as well.
    what does one have to do to have clownfish babies? is that out of my leauge considering i am so new into the hobby?? thanks again for your help

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

getting them to spawn, lay eggs, is well within your capabalities

raising the resulting fry on the other hand is beyond mine at present

but check out the breeding forum on this site as we do have a few good threads on breeding clownfish down there

Steve

1 person likes this.