Are MH's really necessary?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by evojoe67, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

LMAO!!!! Sorry goes my mind.. :yelrotflm

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

K, sell the home & keep the tank... Just kidding. Do you have outside flood lights that you keep on? If so, install an auto timer. Much better than dusk to dawn ones. If you really look around the house, I'm sure there are things that can be tweaked, instead of your hobby taking the blame. For example if you have kids or the wife, them leaving a room & leaving TV's, lights, etc on... Instead of having your heat set at 75, put on a fleece & keep it at 68. My house is at 66 during the day & 68 at night. Speaking of heat, get a programmable thermostat. Sometimes the little things that get over looked end up costing the most... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

All great advice! Even 1,500 watts of MH won't really affect your electric bill a great deal.

As for the outdoor lights, see if you can pick up some of the solar powered ones that you can buy at Home Depot. That way, the sun will do the work, not your wallet.

Also try switching over to the low energy consumption CF lights you can install as well. That will save on your energy bill.

To cut cooling costs you can also install thermal film on your windows that blocks out radiant heat from the sun, so your air conditioner won't work quite as much. Check around your doors and windows and you may feel drafts - you may need to seal off some cracks that lets cool air escape and hot air enter the house.

You may want to install an attic fan as well, if you have one - hot air gets trapped and this simple fan can exhaust hot air and again, save on your cooling bill.

CJ's advice for adjusting your temperature is good too. Invest in a programmable thermostat so the schedule is automatic.
    If everyone is gone during the day, increase the temp (or decrease, if you're heating) - that way you're not heating or cooling a house that nobody's in. If you get off work at 5:00 and you get home at 5:30, have the thermostat adjust the temperature at 5:00 so the house is cool (or warm) when you get home. I keep my house at 80 during the day when I'm at work, and kick it down to 77 when I get off. Adjust again at night, throw on some extra covers, etc. This cut my electric bill about 30 bucks a month alone here in Tampa.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

Zach beat me to it, somewhat. Im not sure how much they cost, but if your electric bill is that much you might want to think about getting some solar panels on your roof for electricity. Im sure it would save a ton, thats what I've seen a lot here in Vegas where the sun is always out. Other than that, its just small changes around your house like stated above. Yeah, those ceilings are defiantly taking money from you.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Solar water heaters are great too, if you are using an electric one currently, this can save a bundle. The government will reimburse you (up to a certain amount) for solar upgrades in your home.

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you have to leave the states to sell your kidney. its illegal here to sell organs for money. if you think about it, i guess while discouraging illegal harvestings, it also prevents organs like kindeys (where you can donate and live) from becoming more common. a double edged scalple indeed

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

LOL.. Thanks Zach, I forgot about the CF flood bulds. I have them myself. They last ALOOOOT longer & alot less draw of power. As for brightness they are very bright.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The problem with solar energy right now is that it is still extremely expensive. For example, in MD it cost approx. $30,000 to install a solar system that produced 75% of the homes peak electrical needs. Even with the credits you get and subsidies, it's really not worth it right now. It will take decades to earn that money back.

Anyways, you have 20ft. ceilings? I've never heard of that and my dad's a builder and mom a realtor. Do you live in a warehouse?;D

11. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

I feel like i live in a warehouse with the cost of heating/cooling, believe me! But yes it is true, 20 foot ceilings:-X

12. ComputerJohn

One of my buddy build a gorgous home for himself valued over a million, it has 24ft ceilings. I designed & install the theater system.. You know what a pain it is to get sound right with 24ft ceiling... :angry:

You are correct solar is big $$$$$, but you know what is about a $8000.00 investment that will pay itself in short time is wind turbine. I looked into it. It will actually spin your meter backwards meaning that your electric company must pay you, since you are supplying the grid.. Most city & towns still don't have laws written for this yet, but it must have what's called a drop zone. In other words, if it falls it won't hit anything... Keep in mind, the fed gov is giving big tax credits on installing one at home...

Heres a couple of good links:
    Skystream 3.7 Compact Wind Turbine and Wind Energy System
    Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Water | Design | Build