Are macros a good fit for me?

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by stepho, Jul 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hey John, got some questions for ya.

1) Are there any macros that would do well under .85 watts per gallon lighting? I'd like to get some macros growing in my mantis tank, but the lighting is really low. This would mostly be for looks, but filtering is appreciated as well.

2) Do you know of, or would consider writing, a good guide for people who may be interested in starting a macro tank, but don't really know anything about maintaining one.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What size tank?

Exactly what do you have on there now?

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Well the tank in question one is a 20 long, with a mantis, a damsel and a mangrove. The mangrove protrudes through the canopy and gets natural sunlight from a north facing window.

Question two was for more of a general guide, I'm considering starting a new tank and making macros a main feature.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

So your tank gets ambient light only? Or do you have another light on there.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I have a light, 17w t8, and some natural sunlight bleeds through the holes in the canopy but not much. The mangrove on the other hand protrudes through the canopy, and gets full sun (as "full" as a north facing window provides).

7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

you can probably get away with calcified reds. They generally can handle very little light. I bet you could keep Red Titan for example. We have a few articles like that under the "Information Tab" on our website, you have to scroll down after hovering over it. From there you can find links to species level info.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

I keep a lot of John's macro. They are very nice indeed. 1/2 of my tanks are pretty low light.

10. johnmaloney

wow, i really need to update that site of mine and write more - but this is a good start:
    ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Macroalgae Care

Nevermind any fertilization, no place in a hobby tank really except maybe iron at times to pop the color in greens..

Good to hear things are going well incognito..out of curiosity is the pink galaxy still around? I am not sure how long they live

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Yes, I still have some. The original bunch that was nice and round was crushed. This month has been so stressful with trying to plan and organize the move of 13 tanks. In my volitan tank it's a deep red/burgundy.

12. johnmaloney

did it grow hairs on it by any chance? or is it just darker? Sorry for all the questions, I have heard about 3rd and 4th generation plants coming in as variations of the original species. Not just a color thing, a true variation.

13 tanks huh? Never fun... I love rubbermaid stock tanks from Tractor supply co., and sump pumps from harbor freight for that task. They have ac/dc converters there for your car too that will allow you to attach commercial air pumps. That is what I did, it was a short trip, but the tank packing, and plumbing etc.. took so long the livestock was sitting, and I was pretty happy we did it that way. We bagged a lot too. Good luck with the move!