Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

This is a question I am asking for my dad. Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it? We would be interested in Mp10s or Mp40s. Do they really make much of a difference with heat in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I will be getting two MP10's for my 55g. I think it will be worth it because you don't have a massive pump thing hanging in your tank as well as they have a variety of modes and are über controllable.

1 person likes this.
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yes, they are great.

1 person likes this.
  5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Do they make a big difference with heat exchange because if anything can help with avoiding a chiller we will probably take it instead of conventional. Also how many mp10s or mp40s do y'all think I would need for a 210g. display and 55 gal sump if I have 3600 gph running through my return pump.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I thought they were great until I added the second one, now I think they are AMAZING! I had some issues with their CS but their products outweigh everything.

1 person likes this.
  7. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Do y'all know of anywhere I can get them for cheaper? Maybe refurbished or something....

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Good luck, those things are like Apple products. They are priced locked and hold their value pretty well.

You might be lucky and find a reefer tearing down a tank and looking to sell.

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah lol it's annoying how really good products are like that although Apple products are great. It's kinda like once you go Mac you can never go back lol. Miele has price locks like that, fortunately the saleswoman liked my mom and gave us a over $600 vacuum for half off.....Off topic. I did look a little online and the prices were higher than what the brochure says :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  11. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Well I looked into it and I need around 8000 gph so if I got one mp40 and one mp10 plus the return pump I like which is capable of 4300gph. So I guess I would achieve my requirements. That setup potentially could produce 9075 gph. What do y'all think?

12. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Yep, Ecotech sets a minimum advertised price (MAP). I was trying to haggle with a guy they other day and he said he almost lost his distributorship over a 5% sale that I just missed. :angry:

1 person likes this.