are coral banded shrimps aggressive....

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cnunez3024, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cnunez3024

cnunez3024 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i have a coral banded shrimp and 1 he ate my lobster while he was molting which pissed me off... and 2 i think he attacked my anthias because she had a wound on her left jaw and i dont see how she could get that other than him... any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes they can be very aggressive. Not usually around fish though, I would more of suspect the lobster, as they are not reef safe ;) Did the wound appear while it was still around?

4. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They can be, and usually are to an extent.

I had thought about adding one, but then decided not to because of this. If you want a banded, you could trade him in for the smaller yellow (or gold?) banded version. They are calm and cool. They are a lot smaller, but they are cool looking. I like the way they look better than the larger bandeds, but that's just me.

5. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm with Pack on this one too. Unless the fish was already injusred. I have watch a CBS mess with a fish that already had a foot in the grave. Most of the time the shrimp just like to clean fish. Then again if the fish did something the CBS wasn't cool with well...snip snip.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a cbs is pretty mean i don't recommend them if you want other shrimp in the tank. they are kinda jerks

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

yeap, they are not that great for a reef IMO. They can and will snag fish when given a chance, especially gobies and bottom dwellers.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

mines mean as hell & ive seen him kill peppermints and skunk shrimp before

10. cnunez3024

cnunez3024 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the fishes wound appeared after the lobster died.. wow i ddnt know lobsters wernt reef safe :-(... he was sooo cool though lol... i loved that little guy... but my banded shrimp munched my lobster... i need to get the CBS out of my tank asap i love my skunk shrimp hes a crazy cleaner

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Mine is all bark are no bite. Well, he was. I saw his molt the other day and haven't seen him since. Could still be hiding......or he barked when he should have bit.

12. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Another possability is the fish could of gotten the wound from the rockwork, they have a habit of swimming off rapidly in any direction when startled, i'e walking past the tank etc...could of scraped up against one, i have witnessed my fish do this in my tank and damage fins...