Are Computer Case lights good???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Chris Jones, Jun 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Has anyone used the rope lighting found at Home depot or Lowes? I'm not sure what the voltage is or if it could be dimmed. It does seem like a viable option especially being enclosed and bendable to move where ever in the hood.
    Scott :)

4. Chris Jones

I have heard of others using the rope lights, but isn't the smallest length they come in is 8'??? that is a lot of rope lights unless you have a 8' tank.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

You can actually get rope light in shorter sections but you have to make them. There are kits that you can get that have the end caps and the plugs so you can get the stuff custom cut. The lights come on a spool and they will cut it by the foot. ;)

Will it work for like a refugium? I have some but I don't know how much juice it uses. I actually have some purple, would it work as moonlight? ::)

6. Chris Jones

I guess my problem is that I have not seen (in person, at night) a moon light set up. Gresham describes 2000-3000 MCD as being fine for intensity, but if I don't Know what that looks like, it may as well be measured in flukenpods or funkenrads. (both made up words, in case anyone wondering). I am a Sound Physicist, (fancy name for a Sonar Technician) so if you express something in dynes/cm2 or signal to noise ratio, then, then, I know. so who lives close in Miami with this setup so I can come look???

7. Chris Jones

DX7, refugiums don't need moonlight unless you are setting the mood for the macroalgae, LOL. I have a 2x9watt mini light in mine, seaweed loves it.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Ben (et al)

Here is a link to a DIY "moonlight" setup that I actually built myself at a PSAS meeting a few months ago...very simple and you do not have to be an electrical engineer to figure out...just need a radio shack and Home Base/Depot nearby...

[​IMG]

PSAS Forum Link

Pics

Have fun..

ScottD

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

OOps! I've got 'fuge on the brain...I meant, can the rope lights be a moonlight serenade for the display tank...of course with the amount of lighting I'm starting with it already is moonlight!! ;D

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Ben Dover link=board=lighting;num=1086399183;start=0#12 date=06/06/04 at 07:45:54]I have heard of others using the rope lights, but isn't the smallest length they come in is 8'??? that is a lot of rope lights unless you have a 8' tank.[/quote]

Your tank is 4' X 18 or 19" so you would need approx 12 to go around the inner edge of the hood.

I had a longer rope and went back to front with the rest.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=szidls link=board=lighting;num=1086399183;start=0#11 date=06/06/04 at 07:35:03]Has anyone used the rope lighting found at Home depot or Lowes? I'm not sure what the voltage is or if it could be dimmed. It does seem like a viable option especially being enclosed and bendable to move where ever in the hood.
    Scott :)[/quote]

I think my rope light is 12 feet long and you don't need a dimmer on these that is for sure. The cost at home depot was 9 buck for this so IMOP you can take the time to build your own or do it the lazy way like I did.

Nugio has photos posted of his LED setup and how he made them etc... His are brighter then my rope light.