Are Computer Case lights good???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Chris Jones, Jun 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

I am looking into putting moon lights in my canopy. I was walking through Comp USA and I saw these blue LED lights in a bar form and some cold cathode ones as well. they say the lights are 29,000 cd/m2 to 32,000 cd/m2. if i put them in a reflector, would these make a good moon light??? are they intense enough or not intense enough??? let me know. here are two sites that I saw them at as well.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/casemods/lighting.htm

http://www.elwirecheap.com/coldcathodes.html

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

No one I know has tried to use the light ROD and don't really know if the fish would think it was a Disco or what not. Nugio has the LED lights that he DIY'ed (whatever). and has photos. do a 3reef search on LED and see what ya come up with.

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Make sure to put up the Christmas Lights!!

5. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

You guys!!!!, I didnt mean the blinky flashy ones. although??? nah! Just wondering about the intensity. I'll ask the Nug the intinsity rating on his LEDS.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

2000 - 3000 mcd is perfectly fine.  Some use a 25w party bulb, and many tests done by researchers have used them as well for moon simulation.  The moon is much brighter then most think.  You will not be able to overdue moon lighting with LEDs unless you make the move to Luxeon 5watters or many high output t1 LEDS.  I use two 3000mcd LEDs on a 55g BUT I use a switchable voltage wallwart for my power supplie.  That way I have a pseudo dimming capability.  I can bring it down to almost zero light, pretty cool.

EDIT: just looked at the sites, and your initial posting, which ones are you looking at exactly? How many LEDs per strip?

I've used CC's before, they're a wee bit too intensive.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Gresham link=board=lighting;num=1086399183;start=0#4 date=06/05/04 at 10:05:06] I use two 3000mcd LEDs on a 55g BUT I use a switchable voltage wallwart for my power supplie.  That way I have a pseudo dimming capability.  I can bring it down to almost zero light, pretty cool.

[/quote]

Hey Gresh this is interesting can you post up a photo or a diagram of this setup?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah, I'd like to see that too.. sounds cool.

Nice find Chris.. those lights are pretty cheap.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, I have a parts list for it, but I'll need to make a wiring diagram (extremelly easy to do, wiring it up that is)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Post it G! [smiley=yaknow.gif]

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Can't wait.... I love the DIY part of reefing