Aquatraders?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ScottsTanks, Feb 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScottsTanks

ScottsTanks Flamingo Tongue

Has anyone used Aquatraders before? I'm looking for MH fixtures for my 90g tank and they have some good deals but I'm wary about the quality. Also I've heard that their bulbs are always strange sizes so that you can only replace them with Aquatraders bulbs and not higher quality bulbs.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

aquatraders........ I'll just say run a search on here and hit google for some reviews then make your own choice.

Aquatrader lights are standard issue odyssea lights. That means they are entry level. I would give the lights themselves a C on the report card.

Aquatrader as a business I would let the reviews speak for themselves. They have burned alot of people. I think they have about 200 BBB complaints against them for anything and everything. Any forum you go to and search on you will find people with complaints or issues against them.

If those are the lights you want or whats in your budget I seriously recommend going to ebay and finding the same light at a cheaper place with a more reputable seller.

I personally havent and wont shop with them just based on what I have read.

Shopping with them is like waiting outside the STD clinic to pick up chics, you might get burned you might not, but I wouldnt risk it.

4. ScottsTanks

ScottsTanks Flamingo Tongue

Excellent analogy. Thanks

5. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Yes.

They sell Odyssea fixtures. I run 4 Odyssea fixtures between my 3 aquariums. They are very reasonably priced. My only knock against the fixtures have been with the LED's.

This is incorrect. You can have a look at each of my setups by clicking on the links in my Signature. I run ATI T5's and Phoenix 14k's. They are quite simple to swap and just as any other fixture, I suggest purchasing the bulbs that best suit your needs.

Overall, they have been good fixtures.

6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I couldn't disagree more. An entry level fixture in my opinion, would be something like 2 bulb T5's on a 48" fixture. They have fixtures including 4 bulb T5's and up to 3 X 250W Halides combo, that will grow and support any coral available on the market. Not to mention, some of the newly released fixtures have added built-in timers.

Another alternative to Aquatraders, is Topdogsellers on eBay. I have purchased the majority of my Odyssea items from him. Quick response and great turn around time.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks for the reminder on that. I'm definitely not bashing the odyssea style lights. I use two of them myself. One is a 4 x t5 over a 48" softy/lps 75g, and the other is a 4 x t5 36" over a 29g mantis tank (lower k bulbs).

When I said entry level I was meaning entry level as far as mixed reef, softie/zoa style tanks. The come for the store 2 bulbs tank lighting would do just fine for FO type tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

F rating by the bbb. I would steer clear of that company imo.

10. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

I purchased one of the MH from them. The MH is good for the price but the ballets are very cheap so keep your eye on it. And yes the sizes do run funny, in a way where you have to buy the bulb from them.
    As for the bulbs, 2 out of 5 time I order bulb, they was delivered to me with a white crust all over it, I called them no one ever answered the phone or returned my phone call and this went on for about a week . So I emailed them explaining the issue with the bulb and that it was clear that it was no good, I was told to send it back and they will test it and if it is good I will be changed a restocking fee. His reasoning behind this and I Quote
    “ New MH bulb are suppose to be covered in a white crust that how you know it new and the crust burns off the bulbs over time” and I replied back to that with “ before or after my house burns down.
    Nonetheless I was change a restocking fee on bad bulb. I tell you this story so you can know a head of time what to expect. For customer service they get a -0 out of 10 for product a 6 out of 10.
    And the MH after 3 yr I replaced it because it started to rust. I got 3 year out of the MH for 99.00. It severed its purpose for the price. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

11. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

My own personal experience with them wasn't terrible. I had a halide bulb (250 watt DE) arrive not working. I got a RA (return authorization) number from them via email and had it in the mail the next day to be sent back. By the beginning of the next week I had a replacement. I liked their fixtures for the price and just bought my bulbs elsewhere. I also had replaced both halide ballasts with Ice Caps because I was paranoid of stories I had read on the interwebs. You do get what you pay for, so if your expectations are not terribly high I don't think you will be terribly dissapointed.

12. Cjiggajess

Cjiggajess Bristle Worm

I personally have a T5 setup threw them and a Mh/T5 combo. My buddy has a Mh/T5 combo and my mom has the T5 set up. The only problem we have had is my friend had one fan that didn't work. She wasn't able to get a hold of em, it was during Christmas so who knows if that was the reason, any way she just ordered a new fan and shes good to go. We all love the lights and for the price u def cant beat it! Im not sure why some peeps are having probs with bulbs but i changed all mine and have had no probs. I have Ati bulbs on the T5s and a Phoenix on the MH. My moms actually wanting to upgrade to there MH/T5 combo. Ive placed about 4 orders with them, I had to get some hanging kits, and it all went well. Pretty fast shipping too!