Aquatraders.com's new 3watt evo fixtures?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by felixpaws, May 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

has anyone had any experience with aqutraders.com's new 3watt evo fixtures or know of anyone who's tried them? I'm a reefer on a budget, and can't afford to build my own fixture's or spend a ton of money on new led lights. I don't really need an overview of aquatraders.com's products. I've bought from them, for years, and have had great success with sps, clams, lps, softies, and anemones. Most of my equipment was bought from them, going on 5 or 6 years, so, not concerned with the old "They'll catch fire." posts. They aren't the best quality, but I haven't had any real complaints, for the prices I've paid. Really, just curious about the new fixtures, and what people think of them. Led's have started to steamroll the hobby, and have been accepted as the norm so quickly, by so many, that I can't justify spending the money on t5's, anymore. Any idea's on these, and has anyone tried them, personally? Thanks, in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

4. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

I have two similar fixtures, to that one, I bought off of ebay, that are doing great. They're on my 75 gallon. Problem is, my 120 is a little different. I have shelves over the tank, and mounting those type fixtures is problematic. I'd have to elevate them, to get the coverage I need. I've been looking for a 48" long fixture, for a while, now. These, and the orpheck are the only viable options, I've found, and the orpheks are out of my price range. I'm hoping the evo's aren't total crap, so, I can try them out. Any ideas? I really excited to see aquatraders get leds, only to find out they were 1 watters. These are the 3 watters, and 2 of the quads, and 1 dual equals 4 of those ebay fixtures, price wise. Same wattage, and price, but better coverage.

5. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I see you are from Pocatello. Nice, I live in I.F. I have not used these fixtures, just a little bump to say hello.

6. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Hey, what's up? I'm pretty sure I've seen you on idahoreefs.com. I was just in If, Saturday. Actually, a little past it. Nice to meet you.

1 person likes this.
  7. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I am on there fairly often. Nice to see some locals on 3reef.

8. Click Here!

9. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Yea, it seems like there are lots around here that don't get on the site. Glad I'm not the only one, that cruises the net for info.

10. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Just ordered the 48" Evo 3 Watt led fixture. It's the smaller of the two 48" lights. I'll try to post results, when I get it. I plan to buy two of the bigger fixtures, also. They are all for my 120 plexi, mixed reef. I'm starting to add sps, and just added a multi-colored birdsnest frag, to see if it will do okay.

11. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

So, I recieved my fixture, and it was well packaged, but UPS beat up the box, a lot. One end was crushed in, but when I took the fixture out, and tested it, it worked fine. I was a lot worried, because one of the reviews on this fixture said that spotlighting was a problem, with this fixture, but I don't see that on this fixture. I have a 4'x2'x2' tank, and the spread is very good. One of the removable optics was not pushed in all the way, but I pushed it in, and it was fine. It's only one cord, and 1 switch, for the actinic, and white leds, but for the price, I'm not complaining. It can be switched, from white, to blue, to mixed, with the switch. I would've liked to have been able to use the blues to start my daylight cylce, but since I mix my position of T5's on my old fixtures, I wasn't able to do that anyway, so, no loss there. The led's are bright, and it has really brightened up my tank, even though it's only the two rows of led's, and not the 4 row fixture, they also sell. I still have the 4 bulb T5 fixture, and 4 bulb compact fixture on my tank, but will buy buy two, 4 row led evo fixtures, to replace those. I've never used metal halides, so, I don't know the difference, between them, and T5's, but the led's I switched to, from my T5's, on my 75 made my coral grow a ton faster. The fixture is a little shorter, than my tank, but the brackets it comes with hold it up, and extend so the fixture fits. It did get a little warmer, than I expected, after a half hour of use, but not as hot as my T5's. I'll check it, when I go to feed my fish, at midnight, and I'll let you all know how it is, then. I've got to say, I love the shimmer on these guys! I have led's on my 75, but not a lot of surface agitation, so , the shimmer on that tank is minimal. On my 120, I have a center overflow, and several powerheads, moving water, and the shimmer is incredible! I can't wait, to get the other fixtures. The tank is brighter, even with just the 2 rows of 3 watt leds. The box it came in, had instructions on it, as well, which anyone who has bought from aquatraders.com knows is rare. Not that instructions are really needed. You connect one cord, plug it in, pull out the brackets, and turn them over, and your done. Just turn the switch to off, before you plug it in. The spread is nice, great shimmer, easy set-up, cheap price, low heat, but one plug, and 1/2 too short for a 48" tank. I'd say it's worth the price, and even if it only lasts a few years, it's still cheaper than replacing T5 bulbs, every 9 months, not to mention, electricity savings, and no mercury in the landfills. I'll keep this updated, with changes, in coral growth, and when I get the 4 row led fixture, I'll let you all know how that one is, as well.

12. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

I've found, they run a little hotter, than I'd like, but overall, I'm very happy with these lights. I believe, you can buy a couple of fans, from the aquatraders.com website, for the metal halide fixtures, and that would cool them off, significantly.