AquaticLife T5HO vs. Reefbreeders 24

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by reefer_dane, Aug 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

Cost isn't a huge factor to me between the two, because its going to be such a small difference. The way I look at it.

4 bulbT5HO- $275- buy 3 extra ATI bulbs from the beginning for $65 which = $340
    Total watts- 156
    I will slowly swap out 1 bulb at a time also using 1 stock bulb at a time.
    So I will probably end up spending $80 a year in bulbs gradually.
    Reefbreeders- $330 plus the cost of a mounting bracket (tank is in living room and has to look clean)
    Total watts- 153

So the cost in electricity shouldn't be noticeable. Upfront cost are the same. T5HO- bulbs will have to be replaced every 9-10 months but the reefbreeders will have to be replaced somewhere down the road also.

I just want the best light for my tank...and I don't know what the heck it is...

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well your are not really comparing apples to apples. First, I am not sure if the Photon actually runs at 3W/LED. My guess is not, and they actually run at 2W. So around 120W or so all in at 100% power. Which again, you will likely never run them at. So likely less than 100W. If this is the case, then you are saving 50% on energy. That is a big difference IMO.

Now, if I am wrong and they do run at 3W, then again, you are not comparing comparable fixtures IMHO.

4. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

I believe you are right that they actually run around 120 watts. When you say I am not comparing comparable fixtures are you implying that the Photons are far superior?

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

No, not that they are far suppier. Just that you can't compare 1W of LED lighting to 1W of T5 (or MH, or PC). I don't know if there is an exact calculation out there or any studies done to say you need X% less if switching from T5 to LED (if anyone has seen documentation like this, please post it!). But basically if you had 400W of T5, you would not want to go and get a 400W LED fixture. More like 300W or 250W. They are far more efficient and so use less power to produce the same amount of light.

Hoping someone with more knowledge and experience can chime in and give some actual facts...

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

For example, I just replaced the lighting on my JBJ 28. It had 105W PC lighting. I replaced it with 20-3W LEDs, which I am running at 55%. So probably around 30 total watts. Since I made the swap, my Green Slimer Acro has taken off. I actually need to raise the power a bit now I believe.

Obviously PC lighting is outdated, and is not directly comparable to MH or T5, but I just hope you see my point.

7. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

Gotcha, I know what you mean although you almost scored a sale for reefbreeders :)

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not my goal, but good for them if you do ;)

I just want to make sure you are making an informed decision before you drop a few hundred :)

10. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

Wouldn't a reefbreeders led system produce far more PAR than a 4 bulb T5 setup?

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Par isn't everything, infact to much is really bad. Dane, the store is called living reef in orlando. The owner is hard to get ahold of but there the ones ditching all the radion pros. This debate will go on forever. It comes down to preference now. I don't like all the shimmer, its a bit to much and makes me dizzy. I like the way the entire tank glows with T5's. Also, my electric bill isn't bad at all, cost takes a back seat compared to quality of life in my tank. If its not broke don't fix it and as of now my clams and corals are growing rapidly. Good luck buddy.