Aquastyle or RapidLED?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by brunoboarder244, Dec 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

The choice is yours. I am just trying to help. If you have to supplement with T5's or PC lighting, then you made the incorrect decision IMO. 72 Bridgelux LEDs is far less efficient than 36 CREE's, no matter the 2W or 3W. By all means, get whatever kit fits your research and budget. And I've had Zoa's grow in a tank with no lighting. Zoa/Palys and Softies can and will grow under any lighting. If your SPS is growing at a snails pace, it is due to insufficient lighting, and perhaps water conditions.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

edit, some bad info was in here after experience.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. knabbuziak

knabbuziak Plankton

Did you end up buying the Bridgelux or CREE? What's the verdict? I'm looking at making an order myself from both ASO and RapidLED (I want a good variety of colours).

When you made this experiment, were both the drivers the exact same model or at least with the same current output? If you put a CREE @980mA next to a Bridgelux @680mA, obviously the Bridgelux will be far less bright! Also, the CREE chips can handle a greater current than the Bridgelux, and therefore they are sold with a driver that can provide the greater current.

5. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

I have the same question my self when I first convert to Led..and end up with rapid cree led kit and never look back. Very happy with it. 36Led kit with 8 uv :)

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I've read that the LED's aquastyle sells are not Bridglux even though they claim them to be which would explain why FOD's pale in comparison to Cree and why bruno read that the difference wasn't that much.
    You read it in a thread on here and the poster claims that the LED's used in the comparison are true Bridglux and not the cheap chinese knock offs. He also goes on to state he's surprised aquastyle hasn't been sued.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aqu...larger-bridgelux-few-chinese-leds-129292.html

There's a ton of binning issues to think about as well. Cree bins color in nM with a very narrow +/- tolerance when a chip is made versus Chinese cheapies that call the entire chip XXnM no matter what. If the decision hasn't been made I'd go with quality over cost savings. Just my .02

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Honestly something must have been wrong with your driver. I have 24 bridgelux running and I cant even stare at them they are so bright. If i do, my eyes are screwed for minutes after.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Bright has nothing to do with PAR or PUR.

A Halogen bulb is bright but it does nothing for coral growth.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You stare at your led's often???lol

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well heres my 2 cents. Despite all the aquastyle bashing, I use them and they are great. Currently have 24 lighting my 40 gallon with no issues. I grow mostly softies and a condylactis anenome (I am positive nps and sps will be fine with more LEDs). I plan on buying 12-14 more LED's. I have 2 drivers and they run very cool with my 2 computer fans blowing on the heat sink.

I do agree that rapidled is a better brand, however reefkeeping is expensive (as we all know), and aquastyle is NOT the crap quality that a lot of people post about without having personal experience. Its not the BEST, but its an understandable brand for the budget reef keeper.

Something also to think about, most all of the LED's offered on Aquastyles website run at 700mA max current so you can run multiple different color types on the same driver (as long as the driver has a max output of 700mA). A lot of rapid's leds have different max currents so you need to be careful which led strings you put them on and the current supplied by your driver.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Have once or twice to checkout looks under the fixture.