Aquastik Epoxy

Discussion in 'Coral' started by APC, Aug 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Has anyone ever used Aquastik Epoxy to mount corals to live rock? I used some the other day and am over all not impressed with it. I had better luck with crazy glue gel. Another problem is that it makes protein skimmers go nuts - I am getting all kinds of bubbles in my tank. The manufacturer suggests turning off your skimmer for 36 hours, which I did. I also did 2 - 10% water changes in that time just to be safe. I turned my skimmer back on and I am STILL getting bubbles 48 hours later. I only used a small amount of epoxy (maybe 10% of the stick). any one used this before? If so any idea how long the bubbles are going to last?

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Also..I just put a poly pad in my filter to try and help this issue out...not sure if it will do any good, but I don't think it will hurt

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know about the skimmer issue, however, I know the epoxy is really for mechanical locking. It does not really stick, it just creates a space in which to squish the coral. I don't really like it either. I am going to try some monofilament line myself this week. :)

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Thanks. Let me know how the fishing line works out for you. Crazy glue seems to work well for me. All I need is for the rubble to stay put until the softies attach to the live rock. That historically has taken about a month in my tank.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I use a "hold fast epoxy stick" and I know 3fishes has a stick epoxy out as well as Tunze. I've never tried Aquastick before but use the hold fast and 3fishes to attach all my corals. LOVE it. Never had a skimmer problem as most of the time the bubbles are dead in my skimmer from having my hands in the tank.
    It can be a pain to use but I've found the gel glues only work if the coral and rock are dry and I can't pull big chunks of rock out of my tank to use it.

J

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Well 5 days, 2 water changes, and a poly pad later, the bubbles have finally gone away. No more aquastik for me.......

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Weird APC, that's a drag. good to know.
    I use the hold fast stuff like Jason.. never had a problem... you just need to turn it white first by kneading it first.

10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Thanks...I will give the hold fast stuff a shot.

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The holdfast stuff smell like perm though! :tongue4:
    It also seem to completily kill my skimmer output. I guess the opposite of making it go nuts. Hey Sue fishing line won't work either. Most lines are actully made to break down so there won't be a ton of it messing up the enviroment. Could try the braided stuff but I am pretty sure monofiliment wouldn't last more than a month or two. Maybe enough for the coral to glue itself to the rock though.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

;D hehe...well I will let y'all know! I just redid my tank and used quite a bit of 30lb line... ::)