Aquascaping ideas, please

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Hughey, Feb 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

Molokini was great. That was only my second snorkeling attempt, and I was very apprehensive. I was so glad I got over my fears. I went out on the blue water rafting trip, and the guys running the boat "tricked" everyone into having to go out past the crater to get back on the boat. So, there I was, someone who doesn't like to be in water over his head, swimming in 300 feet of clear blue ocean. Thanks god no whales came by! We were there in Dec. and saw many on that trip.

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I loved Molokini but the Cathedral I & II divesites off Lanai put the crater to shame

4. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

The tank and stand are being delivered this evening, so i'll start putting things together tomorrow. I'll take plenty of pics as I go. I haven't unpacked all of the dry rock I got yet, but what I've looked at is very nice. It will be fun to start aquascaping tomorrow.

5. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

Here are some quick pics of my tank now that it's up and running. I will take some better quality snaps this afternoon with my real camera and post some build pics. Things came together pretty well. I need to get some live rock tomorrow now that I have the water circulating.

Attached Files:

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

very nice, looks like your off to a great start, remember to take your time and allow it to cycle completely before getting stock happy :)
    I added my first fish and corals after 6 months (not saying you have to wait that long, I had a cash flow problem at the time) with just the clean up crew from reefcleaners that I added in week 6 once my ammonia and nitrates had both reached the 0 mark. One of the benefits was I was able to deal with the typical new tank algea blooms without worrying about affecting the tanks inhabitants.
    click on the new corals link in my sig to see my new friends :)

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Love the tank.. It looks like your stand is a DFW Aquarium Supply. They made mine, and its a great quality stand. Also I am, and my whole family is from San Antonio. Where is this fish store located that helped you with all of this?

Keep the good work coming..

8. Click Here!

9. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

Thanks for the comments. I came home this afternoon, and the tank has already cleared up. I will get some live rock tomorrow to get the cycling process started.

Bama, yes the stand and canopy did come from DFW. It was a special order custom stain to match the hardwood floors in the house. Jason at Aquarium Designs sent them the stain, and they did the finish. It turned out just as I wanted. Jason has been a great help getting all of the equipment put together. We wanted something that was contemporary enough for our remodeled 100 year old farm house. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm happy with the look we achieved.

The only complaint I have about the stand and canopy is the tiny short screws that were used in the canopy hinge. I ended up pulling them out of the wood while installing the lights and had to replace all of them. Luckily, they were so small that the new screws went into the old holes without having to relocate the hinges into fresh wood. Other than that, I'm very happy with the stand and the tank.

I'll keep the pics coming as I add more to the system.

Paul

10. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

Picked up about 25 lbs of live rock yesterday and some hermit crabs and a green chromis to get the cycling started. Tweety is looking mighty lonely in that big tank, but he's not hiding in all of the nooks created by the aquascaping. Here's to quick cycling.