Aquascaping ideas, please

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Hughey, Feb 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

New to the forum and just getting back into the hobby. I'm in the process of setting up a 150 gallon 72 x 18 x 29 tank and want some ideas. I'll be starting with 160 lbs of dry rock that loocks to be very porous on the website I ordered from, and will get a few pieces of live rock from my lfs. With 6 ft of length I have a lot of space to play with. Any ideas as to what works best with this sized space?

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef.

With that much room I would make two islands of rocks and keep the center open for clam or elegance display.

1 person likes this.
  4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

It is really up to the individual. But in the longer tanks I agree with Otty, I like the 2 islands and the center open look.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

WELCOME ;D
    I agree with the others.... I personally prefer the more open look... maybe check my pics and you know what I mean...
    btw. that's a pretty big tank to start off with... congrats and all the very best to you!

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ohh ya almost forgot, Welcome 2 3reef. :)

7. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

I agree with the 2 island look. I just redid my rocks with this look and i love it

8. Click Here!

9. Hughey

Hughey Astrea Snail

Thanks to all for the input. I was leaning toward the two island idea, so everyone seems to confer. I should have mentioned that I kept a 75 gallon tank about 15 years ago, so I'm not a complete novice. This time out, I'm doing a lot more research and hopefully will love it as much as I did before. The last system I purchased used, and it did the job well enough. I learned the importance of frequent water changes and maintaining good water chemistry, as well as the need for good lighting for a reef tank. The only thing I was never successful at was keeping a healthy looking anemone. I had some decent looking corals, but my anemone was usually shriveled up in the bottom of the tank. My favorite fish was my Mandarin Dragonet, so I'm looking forward to getting my reef set up and thriving so I can get one of these again. My last tank was a 75 gallon system, so this is going to feel huge to me. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Paul

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef and back into the fold. What type of lighting are you thinking of?

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Welcome to 3reef. I have tried many ideas over time and agree with many on here that island style is great I change mine to the pilliar style and love it. I personally have to say there is a ton of room for corals and the fish have a ton of room and never seemed happier as they swim freely instead of fighting the rock work. Either option will give you this.

12. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

I recommend a rock rack made of pvc to keep the rocks up off the sand a little bit.It helps keep the nitrates down by allowing flow all around the rocks and no dead spots.They are simple to make and really effective.There are alot of configurations and styles.And You can make them so you cant see them.