Aquascaping Comments

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nept2n, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey all I would like feedback on this design. Tell me what you think? The design
    isn't glued yet so I can make changes. I tried for the Bimini look (I think
    that's what it's called) with a gully as well. It will all be covered with coral
    eventually.
    photo_1.jpg

photo_2-1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_1-1.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

looks give to me, eventually you may want to open it up a bit to leave room for corals to grow, also makes it look like youve got alot more rock than you really do.

4. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

It's your scape, so do whatever catches your eye.

But in my opinion, it's too "boxy." The two rock piles just seem like two giant rocks.

5. nept2n

Do you mean more of a cave look? I've seen tons of pics but not sure what you mean. I'm a newbie so need lots of help

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

You can definitely build in some caves if you'd like, they are always fun. But I mean the two islands you have set up right now seem so rigid and square.

Other members have done the two island look and I love it. I've noticed that they generally try to make their islands more of a pyramid shape, where it tapers downwards.

Tapering will always make it a lot easier to find homes for your corals as you start stocking up your tank.

And don't worry about being a newbie, I'm still one. The scape is all about killing our inner OCD demon. I re-did my scape too many times to count when I first started and another handful of times after my tank was running.

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

If you're going to have fish and shrimp, you're going to want caves.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The scape looks pretty good, elcucuu, but I do agree it would be nice to open it up a bit. It would be cool if the two islands were that close when corals were grown out already.

I did a two island scape for my 29g reef. here is the most recent shot I have of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nept2n

Got it. Thanks for being helpful. I wasn't too convinced with this design and it is probably the 9th redesign I've gone thru. I know I'll probably go thru many more designs until I settle on what I'll love

1 person likes this.
  11. nept2n

Your design looks good. I see mine looks really bulky. How many pounds of rock do you have?

12. nept2n

Hey everyone I have about 160 lbs of rock between the main display and the sump. I was guiding myself by the 1-2lb rule of live rock for adequate filtration. Does any one have less or use 1 lb per gallon?