Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by TomZoo, Sep 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

You'd have to run that water through a TDS meter to know anything. as far as i know.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I had one of those. I now use ro/di water.............................
    Like Serotonin said, you would have to check the tds of your water going in and then out to see how effective it is for you.

Jim

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

When I first used this type of filter, my phosphate level and it was high. The level was off the chart over 10.0. Now I use ro water and it's fine.

6. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

Well i used it and i guess it worked at least a lil bit...my tap has about 30ppm nitrate and 5ppm nitrite and it took both of them out so i guess even if its not the greatest it will suffice, anything is better than using water treatment chemicals(i guess), would it be benificial to get a tds meter to check as well, and does anyone know how much they cost?? Thanks for the quick replys!!

7. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I used it quite a bit when I lived in OKC. The water is quite hard there compared to here in Pensacola. I remember only getting a couple of months per cartrage on a 20long reef and a 55gl eartheater tank with regular water changes and top-off, sometimes less. I believe the replacement cartrage is around $30? I bought a 110gpd RO/DIx2 on ebay for less than $150 shipped reciently and it puts out excellent water. My tank is crystal clear with no unwanted algae since start-up 2 months ago. I should get close to a year before any of the filters need replacing. All youare getting with the Tap-water purifier is DI color-changing resins. I remember they did work pretty well, but the overall cost was very high compared to a good RO/DI unit.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Yep the replacement cost will get you in the end with that filter. It is only a Mixed bed DI with no added filteration. With nothing to knock down the tds in front of the DI you burn thru the resin alot quicker. There was a local that used one and with our water he only got a life of 70G out of a cartridge. At $30 a piece that can add up pretty quick.

Good new is if you upgrade to a RO you can still use that as a DI and just order bulk resin with your RO so it wasn't a total waste.

10. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

what is a good brand where can i pick up a ro unit cheap...I saw an ro unit at home depot is that the same as one for aquariums??? Im new to all this water filtration stuff and ive heard they are only for experienced peps, is this true or is it more than its made out to be??

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I bought the one from home depot a GE 10GPD RO. It is a good setup to make drinking water but has to have so many things added on it to make decent make up water it isn't worth it.

I bought my RO/DI from The Filter Guys and couldn't be happier with the price the quality or the service.

12. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Though I don't really feel comfortable giving advertisement for someone, I did get the 110gpd unit with 2 DI filters and it works awesome. I've been using it for 2 months now and my 20gl nano has yet to see a diatom bloom. The shrooms, rics and zoos are doing excellent. Many of the zoos are changing color toward intense reds, yellows and blues. Get an RO/DI no matter where from.
    A friend of mine got one from Home Depot not long ago, but it didn't have a DI unit, which you have to have for silicate removal and anything that gets through the membrane. Since then he has gotten an attachment and his diatom bloom is regressing.
    eBay Store - ROfilterDepot: