Aquarium Location and Preventing Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Flying Turkey, Feb 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flying Turkey

Flying Turkey Astrea Snail

So I just bought a 50 gallon cube and I'm waiting for delivery.

I want to place this tank in my basement man cave, but I have a row of high windows on one wall. (Not much of a cave is it?) Obviously I want to avoid direct sunlight, so I plan on placing the Aquarium opposite the windows, but in the morning for an hour or two, sunlight will shine on the area where I want to place it.

I'll be placing the aquarium 10' from the nearest window.

Will this sunlight cause an algae outbreak? I really don't want to keep the blinds closed all the time. What about ambient sunlight in the room itself? Will I have a constant battle with algae? DO I need to keep the room dark all the time?

Help?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Nope, nope, nope, and nope. :D

FTR, My tank receives a couple of hours of direct sunlight every morning and ambient light the rest of the day. No algae issues here. IMO, it would be quite a feat to provide a dark room for an aquarium. :)

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I get a couple/few hours of direct sunlight as well. I had some brown algae show up after a skimmer overflow but I don't think it had anything to do with the sunlight. The algae lasted about 3 weeks but slowly receded.
    It's more about nutrient control than anything.