Aquarium Honors 65-Year-Old Fish

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 21, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's an old fish! :eek: 8)

Aquarium Honors 65-Year-Old Fish
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO - Rome may be the Eternal City, but San Francisco could be home to an eternal fish.

On Tuesday, aquarium officials at the Steinhart Aquarium honored an Australian lungfish, Methuselah, who arrived at the aquarium in 1938 as a fully grown adult. That makes it at least 65 years old.

Aquarium officials had said Methuselah was the oldest fish in captivity, but learned they were mistaken Wednesday. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has a lungfish, Granddad, that arrived as an adult in 1933.

"Well, I'll be darned. No kidding!" said John McCosker, Steinhart's emeritus director, who said he planned to send a note of apology to Shedd.

The Australian lungfish is rare even in its native waters. An eel-like fish with large scales, lungfish are thought by scientists to be the "missing link" between fish and amphibians because they also breathe air.

Methuselah, who is 3 feet long and weighs about 40 pounds, is known for its sly grin.

"It probably comes from the wisdom of the ages," McCosker said.

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Wow Matt!
       Maybe they live in captivity better than in the ocean?
    Hey Matt I seem to have lost my protecter badge did my check bounce he-he ;)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=david link=board=Bucket;num=1069483448;start=0#1 date=11/24/03 at 07:26:34]
    Hey Matt I seem to have lost my protecter badge did my check bounce he-he  ;)
    [/quote]

Sorry David! :eek: ::)
    When I added somebody else I must have lost you in the process. Oops! It's back.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Pretty amazing, eh? I'm still not sold on the missing link theory. We been lokking for a long time and the fossil record just doesn't support the evolutionary change as most of os think of it. Even the science community recognizes the challenges with that hypothesis.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thats awesome that it has lived that long makes you wonder how long they can live

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

thats a lot of years. must have a lot of tlc around there

JOE