Aquarium Flow Meters

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Every time I see one of these in a catalog I look at them. Their merit with freshwater aquariums - especially those using a sponge prefilter or canister media is noted. But with a max reading of 500 gph and unknown wear with use - does an aquarium flow meter like this have a place in the saltwater aquarium world?
    <br />
    <br />
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <br />
    <br />
    More info:
    Monitoring Aquarium Filtration Systems: GPH Flow Meter by Tom Oscar Aquarium Products

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I always wondered about those devices, esp. when I have a Magdrive 18. I think if I connected that thing to my system it would explode;D. I have always wondered what is my gph rate and how many times the tank turns over.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Exactly. 500 GPH won't cut it here.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We use a real flow meter for every installation to set them pumps and ocean motions to balance a system But once set thats that.. I don't see any need for the average home hobbyist to buy one.. I can take a measuring cup and calculator and get the same results on a home system.. Ours here will measure up to 50,000 GPH

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting... got a link for a 'real' flow meter? I'd love to see it.

That is a big measuring cup! Or am I missing something?

I'd love to hear more details on how you do this. :smart:

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What I'm interested in is a way to calculate water volume. I would love to automate my water changes a bit and have a meter measure how much water is drained out of the sump.
    Sorta the same Idea I guess.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I'll dig it out tomorrow its buried in the work trailer and post the name and model and a link maybe they will have a picture ? Its a German name as is our light meter . I have used the light meter several times and the flow meter was just used once this last yr.. We designed and installed a research system at a Local university for horse shoe crabs it had 200 20. gal. long tanks and they had to all be flowed to the university's specs.and at the sump sand filter and chiller..

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That is a big measuring cup! Or am I missing something?

I'd love to hear more details on how you do this. :smart:[/QUOTE]

No for a small home system I just measure the time it takes to fill a known container of x amount of Oz's, Qt's or Gallons then just do the math 1 gallon a minuet is 360 GPH most home systems don't turn over what many think. When I see the people saying I have a 200 gallon tank and I roll that x10 through the sump LOL I know they are of the mark a bit.. about 75% off the mark. For a samll tank like a 90 I'll just use a 8 oz cup.

1 person likes this.
  11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I'm not questioning your expertise, Tangster. But what am I missing here? 1 gallon per minute - 60 minutes per hour - wouldn't that mean 60 gallons per hour? *Scratches head*

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I had my mind somewhere else.. Damn if I know what I was thinking I was thinking about gallong per min. being 6 per min being 360 and rather then hold a cup that long I just take a sample for 10 seconds or 5 seconds ..then figure my GPm then x 60 to get GPH. . Brain on to many things today..But I know someone sharper them myself will catch me Thanks.. ;)