Aquarium Chiller Repairs

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mikemangue, Jun 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikemangue

mikemangue Astrea Snail

Does anyone out there have any idea on where one could get a chiller repaired? or where to find spare parts? I have a Current USA Prime 1/10hp and 1/15hp Chillers that refuse to cool after 1-Year of use. They both seem to stop working after approximately 1-year of use. The thermostat works fine, the compressor is running but both chillers refuse to cool. I have already sent back one 1/15hp chiller that was under warranty to the place that it was purchased for the same problem. I don't believe that these chillers are made to last because they run well for approximately 1-year and then without any sign of trouble they simply stop cooling even with the compressor still running. Thank god the digital thermostat shows the water temperature or you'd never realize that the unit has stopped cooling. :angry:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Coral Buzzed

Coral Buzzed Plankton

I suggest you try an Air Conditioning or Fridge repair shop, the insides of the chillers are not very different than these. Good luck.

4. Peiloy

Peiloy Plankton

mikemangue, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your chiller? I have a current USA chiller 1/3 hp. Recently it has been taking longer to cool the aquarium and I fear what happened to you may be happening to me. Id really appreciate the help

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I wonder if your R-134a needs to be recharged.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+ 1 on Tigermike

living out here, they reckon I will need my (only know the Chinese phrase and did not know it was R- 134A) replacing every 12 months
    and that a chiller that stays on for long periods is a sure sign that its exhuasted

Steve

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I wonder if they can be recharged with recharging kits that are used for car A/Cs?

8. Click Here!

9. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I have just noticed , Mike that you made a post on my thread http://www.3reef.com/forums/general...illers-45820.html?highlight=maintain chillers
    I have had good luck with my 1/15th Prime chiller (almost 2 yrs old). I've been running an extra fan in front of it, and keeping my maintainence on it pretty regular. Your problem seems really weird. I think even if the freon leaked out the compressor might still run. I believe the R-134a probably blew out. Have you tried talking with Currant USA about it. Their customer service is actually pretty good. I would like to know what happened too. I hope you got that problem resolved (I know I'm a little late).

Hey Peiloy check out the above thread. You're having the same problems I did until I cleaned my chiller out.

10. 1RESTLESSNATIVE

1RESTLESSNATIVE Astrea Snail

Cooling systems require specific refrigerants depending on year made and system type. Just like your car the hotter ambient air temp the more load your tank requires and the hotter the air is being used to cool the unit and aid in the heat transfer. If I am not mistaken specific pressures are required and just injecting new freon randomly might rupture or over fill the system. The unit should be labled with refrigerant type used if one feels comfortable recharging. But if the need for recharge is there means there is a leak. A simple solder might be all it needs once the leak is detected. Most all air conditioners and refrigerators work the same so anyone in that repair field should be of service. I am sure there is someone out there that can fix them even if it meant shipping it to them. Perhaps the quality in the parts used in those systems just allows very minute seepage and total loss over time.

Perhaps running an over sized chiller for application will aid in load reduction and longevity over all? I know my old boy is in for a workout this summer..... btw its a 1/4hp and still kicking butt at age 15. I am actually thinking about a freon and pressure check to make sure all is in order for best performance....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  11. FuzzBall03

FuzzBall03 Flamingo Tongue

Sorry to resurrect an older-er thread here.
    I actually have an AC certification(and several machines for recovering, leak checking, etc available to me), so I can work with 134a, which according to their website is used in all of their 1/3 and smaller chillers.
    Have you pulled the cover off... is there a high side and low side port?

Take a photo if you can, I'm curious if I may be able to repair these without any real out of pocket cost.

Thanks

12. Karimwassef

Karimwassef Plankton

I'm in Dallas and I think my 1/3hp chiller is out of refrigerant. Anyone find a location to get it recharged?