AquaIllumination LED Light Systems

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

ReefGeek has an interesting new lighting fixture - AquaIllumination LED Light Systems. They say it is capable of producing as much light as a 400w halide system with only 50% of the energy!
    <br />
    <br />
    [​IMG]
    <br />
    AquaIllumination LED Light Systems

This aquarium lighting fixture has sunrise, daylight, sunset and lunar light cycles. All that and a lamp life of up to 10 years. :eek: Are LEDs here to stay?

More info:
    http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED_Lighting/AquaIllumination_LED_Light_Systems/

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Uhhh, not unless the price comes down! I'd have to shell out $2500 for one that would fit my tank!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: HECK no! Do they produce the same shimmer effect as halides?

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the upfront cost of todays saltwater systems is high, but in a side by side comparison with metal halides over a period of 10 years the led's are more cost efficient. to new to tell if the results are the same in regards to the output, have seen some analysis data but not enough to make a definitive answer.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

At that price, I would have to sell my complete system. After doing that I wouldnt have the need to buy those leds b/c I wouldnt have a tank to light up:-[

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

for a mh system with 2 mh and 4 pc the initial cost would be around 1000 if your a diy, 2000 in not. then replacing the bulbs every year runs about 200. in ten years that would be 3000-4000 not including the electric bill inbetween. the main question i have is the output of the led's in comparison to mh and how much would it be to replace the led's after 10 yrs?

7. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

The only thing is they say the max life is 10 years, so the bulbs would start going out sooner than that; and after 6 or 7 years you would start to see a considerable fade.

This is all based on the presupposition that these are similar in operation to other LEDs such as lunar lights.

If that in fact is the case, I think LED will be more cost-effective when they figure out how to combat fading, probably with replaceable LEDs/panels of LEDs.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if its 6-7 yrs there close in price over time. ill google to see if there are replacement led's to replace the used ones and try to find out the cost.

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

my lfs got a solaris for half price cause they wanted them to carry their lights.they tried the sample and decided not to carry them.they did'nt say exactly why.

11. mjharris41

mjharris41 Plankton

I've been looking into the Galileo model myself. According to their literature, the bulbs retain 70% of their output at 11 years, assuming a twelve hour photoperiod. The savings on the electric bill are also significant. In my case, the break even point is about two years.

Here's a comparison between the Solaris (higher end) model and 250 watt halides: Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Product Review: A New Horizon in Lighting: PFO's Solaris LED System

At anyrate, these LED lamps look like a really good option on paper. My concern is really more aesthetic. I haven't seen them running, which makes me more that a little nervous, and from the pictures I've seen, the light is very blue.