AQUAEL UniMax Pro Canister Filters

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Snafu, Dec 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Hi ;D

I was thinking about buying this filter, I like the idea that it has a UV light built in it.

I would any commits about the filter or what you think about the UV light!

I don't have a lot of money to waste, So if you trouble with.

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

I can't speak for the item itself, but I can put my $.02 in on UV lights. A UV light is really something I would only use for sporatic, particular use. Depending on the volume of water going through a UV, different particles are killed. At one speed it will kill algae, at onther bad bacteria and finally good bacteria. This differs between models. So, with this item, I would assume different head heights and filter levels you would see different water speeds and different particles destroyed.
    Now, I have a UV filter. I only used it twice. One time was to help kill hair algae spores and the second time was to help kill a possible bacteria I saw in my fish. I can't say it helped either time.
    So, why don't I use it more often? Because it's purpose is to kill spores and bacteria. I have a refugium to help keep down the spores and I don't introduce any bad bacteria into my system. The light does not disciminate between good and bad bacteria, so there is a good chance it will kill good bacteria before bad ones.
    I think the product may have some benefits. However, considering the requirement to control water flow and the fact that you should rarely use it, I would probably pass. Instead I'd get a good canister and buy a UV with a separate pump when I need it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well put Dyngoe.

I file UV filters under optional.

If money is tight, don't spend it on a UV.

5. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Hey thank you!

you both have good points

Merry Christmas
    Tom

6. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

What Canister filter would you say to use.

7. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Everyone has a personal preference on canister filters. Truth is either an Eheim, Filstar or Fluval will probably work for you. My preference is Fluval for a beginner and Eheim classic for a more experienced user. Fluvals are just so straight forward. And, you can use the media trays to hold posban or charcoal if you ever migrate to a wet/dry filter or a refugium. Eheims classics are a little harder to use, but they are so straight forward. One cnaister fits everything. Also they use standard poly tubing so you have a little more flexibilty on plumbing.
    If you do go for a Fluval, I suggest looking for an old (hopefully new in box) 304 or 404. With the 305 and 405 models they made minimal changes and raised the price. The previous 04 models can still be found occassionaly for a great price.

8. Click Here!

9. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Thank you!!

Tom

10. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I have never used anything but Ehiem- from my expierience the are excellent filters and I have never had problem one.