Aquacultures

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Linda, Aug 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

As reported in an earlier thread, I just added my first two corals that I purchased from my LFS. How much, if any of LFS corals are cultured? I asked one place - The Fish Planet - and was told that most of their corals are aquacultured. His response came across as, "let's tell her what she wants to hear" and felt like asking him if there was some way he could confirm that with me.

I'm looking for recommendations for on-line sites.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Most SPS I see are aquacultured and the only way I know is how they are grown. There are several SPS 'Plugs" that the corals are grown on that are a tell tale sign.
    I'm not sure how one would tell how a LPS is cultures. And I would assume all Soft corals are.

J

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All of our Softs and SPS and the several types of LPS we have are totally aqua cultured Its no way to tell if the supplier is supplying truce cultured corals its just something you have to take their word for.. Whats hard is the totally cultured corals cost more they have to and they say price sell :)

The shops we wholesale to can say the corals the receive from us are a 100% cultured :)
    If you don't no your drug then you have to know your dealeras the old saying goes ;D

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i like that one ;D

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i think alot of lps like micros and blastos and brains are just bought as reelly big peices and they break them into smaller peices and double or triple their money.its a dead give away that their cultured if their on a ceramic disk.i bought cabbage coral that was dwarfed because it was aquacultured to many times.

7. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Can't I just buy them from you, then?:biggrinbo

8. Click Here!

9. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Seriously, though. What I've gathered here is that if it is aquacultured, then generally it wouldn't be attached to LR, but rather a plastic disc, or some other manufactured item, correct?

I'd welcome any links you guys may have of reputable places I can check out.

Thanks for the info!

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hiya Linda,

Really does not matter so much where you get them from. Expect almost all frags are aquacultured. Don't you have a LFS nearby to help save shipping costs?

But frags are the way to go. Cheap and fun to watch grow up. Remember you are going to be in this hobby for the long haul, so no need to get large starting out.

Scott

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You can but them from the place I work for :) But I grew them out and I do all my own packing and shipping and I know what we send out is a 100% cultured and reared inhouse from corals to Rock's and sand .

12. roosterfish

roosterfish Plankton

While I agree that if it's a frag mounted on a disc it's a good sign it's been aquacultured, it doesn't make it 100% for sure. An unscrupilous dealer can take an acro for example from the wild, break it up into frags and mount them for immediate sale as aquacultured.