AquaC Ev120 or EV180 (?)

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by omard, Dec 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Am on verge of ordering skimmer for new tank. (120 gal)

Need help on making decision between the AquaC EV-120 (rated for 40-150 gal tank) or the AquaC EV-180 (60-200 gal tank).

Is extra $$ expense worth increase in skimmer effeicieny? Or will the EV 120 do just fine for tank size I am getting (also plan for 30 gal sump - (refugium later)

AquaC EV series Protein Skimmers - http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_ac_info.asp

There are long term power consumption factors to consider also. Not to mention larger size and larger pump reguirements.

My current inclination is to get the EV120 and use the saved $ to get a "Ozoner" to go with it (Aquazon 50 - $143 - Marine Depot) -

Red Sea Aquazone "Ozoner" - http://www.marinedepot.com/a_uvozone_rs.asp?CartId=

note: "Ozoner" port option must be taken at time of purchase with AquaC skimmer.

Thoughts from any AquaC users? (I love the way my current "remora" is working on my 55 gal.)

THX

Rgds,

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

If you have room for the 180 I'd go with it.  Those are really sweet Skimmers I'm so jealous.

J

Have you checked out the Precision Marine's Bullet 1. The king of Skimmers as far as I'm concerned.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks Jackets

There is $60 difference between the EV120 (Dolphin 560 pump) and the EV 180 (Dolphin 800 pump) - if you say worthwhile, am tempted to go for the larger.

It is 2" higher (20" compared with 18") - will have 24 inches in stand. Wonder if this is enough clearance for cup removal, maintenance etc.?

I am pretty much stuck on the AquaC skimmers - best for the $ I think.

OmarD

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just got my 180 going on a 135g and I have to say im glad I went bigger cause you cant over skim a tank. plus if you want to up grade tank size youve got the skimmer 4 it. I got mine w/a mag 7 for $350. Cheapest I found.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Nugio...Good point on reason for getting the larger size skimmer - while I am sooo happy to be finally moving from to a 120 gal...who knows, maybe a larger one will show up some day in future...

Am curious where you got your EV-180 w/mag-drive 7 - cheapest I found was at marinedepot for $389.99 (plus $5.00 for "John Guest "Speedfit" fitting" for Ozoner hookup...

THX

OmarD

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I got on an ebay store called "4 your reef" i got them to ship it at no charge on a "buy it now"

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looks like I will have to do some Ebay shopping.

Nugio, what would you guess would be the absolutle minimum clearance required for your EV180 in sump compartment?

spec's say 20" high - but I am going to be limited in to not much more then 24" in stand. Is this going to be a problem for cup removal, hose extensions, maintenance, etc???

Am building stand now and may be able to "adjust" if necessary. Primarily a factor of asthetics, so stand "matches" TV stand on same side of room. Would like to make it same height. - but if needs to be taller, can do.

OmarD

PS: Are you happy with the Mag 7? performance/noise? - now is time for me to make best choice...little more for Dolphin 800, little less for Rio 3100.

10. Jason McKenzie

I say build a new TV stand to match the Tank stand. Were are your priorities man? :)

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Jackets

Yep.."priorities" screwed up..(not just in this matter either) :-[

"reality" seems to just get in my way all to often. ???

Believe me, I feel really lucky to have "negotiated/bartered and finagled" myself along this far concerning tank upgrade. Rest assured, additional "space" is not an option at this point in time.

OmarD :)

12. Jason McKenzie

Oh I find myself in the same negotiations all too often.  But I always Loose.  Maybe you could share your secrets. :p

J