Aptasia on a bad spot on my clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Grant, Jun 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

I've found two very small growths of aptasia on my maxima. The one in the pic is just under the mantle in the center of the pic. The other is even smaller and on the side of the shell. How should I go about removing it? I don't want to hurt/disturb my clam anymore than I have to. I was thinking of adding a peppermint shrimp? any thoughts or good ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't see the spots of aptasia in the pic...ok I see one now, the one under the mantle.

4. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Yep that's it. I'm afraid of injecting any of the normal aptasia killers (lemon juice, joe's juice, aptasia X) because of the close proximity to the clam's mantle.

oh and...I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. Just in case that would be a problem with peppermints or any other method.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Take the clam out of the water and scrape the aptasia off the shell. Scrape some of the shell where it was off as well. Then do a FW dip. This should get rid of the aptasia on your clam and will not hurt your clam.

6. ATP123

ATP123 Astrea Snail

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

And while you are at it lets electrocute the clam and the tank...

8. Click Here!

9. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Freshwater dip? The last time I did a FW dip on a clam, it died that night. I used RODI water at 7.8 ph and at my aquarium temp for 10 minutes. This makes me nervous to try again...I really like this clam. How long should I dip it?

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Well, your pH was .5 to acidic for the clam. This could have caused the demise. Do more of a rinse than a dip. This is just to clean the clam off. Don't clean the clam off in your tank though.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

When freshwater dipping a clam, you have to make sure that the dip water is the same ph and temperature as the tank water.

12. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Will my ph monitor that I keep in my SW tank work measure FW correctly for this procedure? I use a Milwaukee monitor in my DT.