Aptasia Bloom

Discussion in 'Algae' started by moray, Mar 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. moray

moray Astrea Snail

does anyone know why after 4 years of my reef setup i start to get an aptasia bloom, multiplying like crazy? I tried all the chem marin stuff, calcium injections, lemon juice injections.

HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

The same kind of thing happened to me, only mine was a little sooner (like 2 years). At first I thought the one was cool, then it became 4, then 20...you get the idea. What I LOVE is a product called Joes Juice. It comes with an injector, and you squirt it into the aptasia and watch them DIE! They implode, kind of. Actually its really cool to watch. Anyways thats what I always use, even if you have corals. Some of this Joes Juice got on my mushrooms once and didnt phase them. I would try to keep it from getting on any corals anyways, but by mistake, nothing happened anyways. Good luck because I hate them too!

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Joe's Juice works well, but I have very good luck with a paste of Kalkwasser and water again injecting them with the paste. It kills them quickly. Your Peppermint shrimp should help to control the Aptasia population as they eat them until they grow to big that is.

5. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

a mixture of water and baking soda works well also (form a thin paste and inject), just make sure that you turn off all circulation and "spot inject".

1 person likes this.
  6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You should have added peppermint shrimp when the population was small. I'm thinking of adding another little guy to my reef to help prevent a bloom. They thrive because all the chems you put in there they use up! So, you're in theory helping them grow! Nothing you can do about that anyway though. I think your best bet is two pepps and squirting the ones at a reach.