Applying marine filtration on FW

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by mikejrice, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

My next big project is going to be putting some overkill marine style filtration on my 80 gallon FW tank. I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon sump to run a protein skimmer in and some mangroves. I currently have a rubbermade sump on the tank with mangroves in it. They are by far outpacing the ones I have in my marine tank, and they're doing it without light!

Ill hook up the pictures as soon as equipment starts to arrive at my house. I might build the sump tomorrow.

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Skimmer will not work....freshwater does not foam like saltwater--The sump will work fine, as well as the mangroves.

4. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I am not sure about the protein skimmer in FW tho. When I would pull my old skimmer out to clean it I would fill the sink up with water and set it down in the after I cleaned it and turn it on. NO bubbles the water would just spin around in the tube. the whole sump setup I think would be great IMO

5. mikejrice

Interesting, I did not realize this. I was always told it's not necessary as nitrates in FW don't matter as much anyway. It's already on order though so I'm gonna give it a shot anyway lol. If it doesn't work I have the first piece of my next reef tank.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

True--Nitrates in FW just need to be kept under 40ppm (I have 5 FW)

7. mikejrice

Guess we will see when it all gets here.

8. Click Here!

9. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

Yes. Skimmers in FW do not work. hahaha. I was going to take a skimmer back before because i did a fresh water 'dry run' and the skimmer wasnt working. It was only when i came on here and stevewright told me they dont work in freshwater.

But hey..like you say, now you have an excuse to start a new SW tank :D

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Skimmers don't skim in freshwater because of the pH.

11. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

Really? But there is a lot of freshwater tanks that have pH as high as marine. Like african rift lake cichlid biotopes for example. 8.4pH is good for them. But i still cant see a skimmer working there. But i guess ill have to test that theory when i set up my chichlid tank in my office soon. If it is the case where it works, that might be a great discovery in the fight against the messy chichlid family.

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

My buddy has a gold fish tank with a sump, filter sox, carbon, mangroves the whole nine yards, clean as can be! Its the CLEANEST looking gold fish tank ive ever seen water is litterly crystal clear! Its in a starfire tank so it looks invisable lol