API Tap water filter

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by chelonianraces, Oct 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not all units come with a faucet adapter. Most come with a hose thread adapter which will screw on a outside hose bib, garden hose, the washing machine cold wate rsupply faucet or many laundry sink type faucets. Most kitchen or bathroom faucets require an adapter that can be bought either from the RO vendor or most any hardware store for between $5 and $15 depending on the adapter style.

I prefer hooking them to the washing machine cold water supply using a brass Wye adapter like you use to hook two garden hoses to a single hose bib or faucet. Many of the wye adapters have individual valves so you can shut the RO/DI off without having to disconnect it and you can send the waste to the washer drain, a laundry sink or even some of it can be used to fill the washer if you monitor the flow. The wye costs $3 to $5 at Lowes or HD.

The $120 Spectrapure RODI-90-REFURB comes with an inline pressure gauge and hose thread adapter standard and it is a good idea to add a handheld TDS meter for $25, it does not come with an inline TDS meter or handheld. It will produce about 3 to 3.5 gallons per hour at 50-60 psi so the faucet adapter will tie up a kitchen or bathroom faucet for a good amount of time if you need to make much water.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the clarification AZ, I forgot that the hose adapter worked on my faucet because I had already installed an adapter on the faucet for my FW Python siphon system.

4. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

Thanks all for your replies, AZDesertRat; you have really convinced me in ditching the api idea, sounds like a real pain having to replace $20 cartidges every couple months, i will either get an RO/DI now (which i probably will) or otherwise wait till my budgets gets better in probably 6 months using bottled ro/di or distilled until i'm in a better condition, i will also need to figure out a nice suitable area to throw in the ro/di.

I am convinced, please don't take this question as an excuse, i know some people out there use natural sea water under some circumastances and i have read that it can be done, my wonder is sea water does contain TDS why isn't that a worry?

thanks

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The TDS or dissolved solids in new seawater are natural elements in the correct amounts.
    The TDS in tap water are many times human caused contaminants like fuel byproducts from leaking underground storage tanks, synthetic compounds like medications and hormones that pass through a wastewater treatment plant then get recharged into the ground or dumped into a river or stream which then serves communities downstream etc.

Very vert few places have pristine water today. The result is we need to use an RO/DI system to take the water back to its purest state then add back in only the things we need and in the correct amounts using a good quality salt mix.