API Tap water filter

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by chelonianraces, Oct 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

Hi all, sorry i'm not sure if this is or not the right section to post this.

Anyone have ever used the API Tap water filter? are they any good? do they do the job done be RO/DI but in smaller amounts of water?

I really see them neat and a great way for pico/nano reef owners but are they actually successfully used?

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Can't comment on the filter but I can say that buying a real RO/DI unit is a much better investment. You'll be getting 0 TDS water without any wonders, I'm sure the cost isn't much different than a filter (+ replacement needs) like you mentioned. The hook-up is uber easy too, screw end onto your sink tap, turn on cold water, pure end into a 5g bucket, you're done in an hour or so for small quantities.

See link, $120 + shipping for a refurb 90gpd model is an absolute no-brainer for anyone with a SW tank, SpectraPure is the best RO/DI IMO (and AZ's):
    Untitled Document

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I used that exact filter for over a year for my lil 8g. I liked the results. I was filtering 5gs of water per month. It is better then no water filter at all.

Make sure to trickle the water through it, very very slowly. Pay close attention to the DI resin color change then switch it out.

5. chelonianraces

Thank you for your replies,, one way or another i will be getting an RO/DI unit along with a refractometer, i just want to go slow in my first year and don't rush in buying a huge unit when i didn't even figure out a place to put it, what i like about the API is it's small, compact size.

i think BRS should design a smaller RO/DI unit that resembles much to the original ones, not all of us have 55g+ tanks!

@NanoReefer; how long does the resin live? i think 5 gallon per month is ok for my need.

does the filter come with a resin or do you have to buy each off seperately?

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That unit comes complete and ready to use. You buy a single replacement cartridge when needed.

They claim it is good for 50 - 150 gallons, depending on your tap water.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I used it for a while many years ago. It worked great, but gets expensive. It is just the DI without the RO. The ROs purpose is to extend the life of the DI, so, without RO, it doesn't last long. I'd say it's okay for maybe 30g aquariums or less though. I used it on a 55, but that got expensive and I saved a lot of money when I finally switched to RO/DI. The 50-100g is probably overly optimistic. I had very good water and probably got more like 50.

8. Click Here!

9. chelonianraces

Thanks for your replies, it says it filters 10 gallons per hour, but how often do i need to replace cartidges? also can i adjust the amount of water being filtered daily to my needs so the cartidges live longer? 10 gallons would probably cover me for a month.

I do understand an RO/DI unit would save me alot of cash but i'm not capable for it's large size and bulky shape.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

They do make portable RO/DI units that connect to the faucet.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

If your only using 10g per month, it will probably last you 3-5 months. I don't think you'll get more than 30-50g out of it, but it depends on your water. An RO/DI saves the life of the DI and makes it last longer. IIRC the DI cartridges for that are about $25 each. I currently use about 30g per week. So that could cost up to $100 per month. An RO/DI costs me maybe $ 50 per year. For me it's a big difference, for you, not so much...

Edited, can't do math this early in morning LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

On average a tap water filter will treat between 15 and 30 gallons of water before it is exhausted and in need of an expensive cartridge replacement. That is if you have average water in the 100 to 250 TDS range. Even buying cartridges in bulk its still probably 100 times more expensive than RO/DI water which averages less than 5 cents per gallon to make for most of us.

Most of those who report the API tap water filter workedwell for them never had a TDS meter to back up the claims, without the meter you are in the dark and in fact have no idea if it works or not. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and makes you think you are doing something is more likely the case.