API Reef Master Test Kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by gtrasper, Dec 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

I purchased this kit with the assumption that I could do all the test that I needed to for my new salt water tank. After opening it up and reading the directions I discovered that I cant test for amonia which is critical correct. Am I missing something or do I need more testing equipment?

Thanks for the help.
    Gary

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The reef test is more targeted at the params that are specific to corals. CA, DKH, and PO4.
    The set-up I have is the Saltwater Master Kit, Reef Master Kit, and a Sali-Fert Mag test kit

4. karen1964

karen1964 Plankton

I just bought a "Saltwater Master Test Kit" and mine has a test for ammonia in it. I'm interested in hearing any responses to your post . . . I got a separate phosphate test and am getting totally different readings than my LFS is. They are saying my phosphate level is greater than 1 ppm, but my test kit says around 0 to .25.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

+1 pack. gtrasper you do need to get the saltwater and reef test kit and also the kit for mag.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I test for NH4, NO2, NO3, pH, dKh, Ca, Mg and Iodine. It wouldn't hurt to test for Si and Cu from time to time if you have a problem that comes up (with diatoms and invertebrate health--or lack thereof). You can get away with the first seven and ditch the rest for the time being.....but just consider getting one of these extra test kits from time to time (with long expiration dates). If you decide on SPS corals, you will want the K and Sr test kits as well.

7. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

The api phosphate test is extremely hard to read imo and I regret buying the reef master test kit because I just don't really like the quality of api tests. The only api tests that i use are dkh, calcium, and nitrate.

8. Click Here!

9. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

What do you recommend?

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Salifert, Elos, Seachem, Lamotte ...........Luna

11. reef4girl

reef4girl Feather Duster

Could someone tell me when you read the api test kits do you hold the test tube right up against the white(touching) of the card or just close to the card?

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

It shouldn't matter all that much. Match the color the best you can.