Apex vs. Reefkeeper Elite V2 Mini Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Av8Bluewater, Oct 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have had both Apex and RK elite V2.
    I had to send the Apex back for corrupt software. Got into an argument with them over shipping but they did end up paying after I produced a receipt.
    Then I still could not get it to simply turn on the lights.
    I suppose it's possible the problem was me but I read the manual cover to cover like 3 times. Got frustrated and sent the whole thing back to MD.

I think if it worked it would probably be a slightly nicer unit than the reefkeeper which is what I ended up with.

The cord for the display on the Apex is thin, nice and long. RKE is a clunky telephone cord.
    The RKE has more mount options as there are 2 4 plug units vs. Apex has all 8 outlets at one spot. So I liked that.
    RKE came with it's own PH calibration solution and a screw on cap for the probe. That was nice because you will have to buy that separately with Apex.Update 2013 Apex now comes with calibration fluid packs and a rubber slip on cap for PH probe

The Apex has a beafier longer temp probe. The one on the RKE can pop out of the tank easily which would mean the heater would then start heating things up too high. I put a clip on it to hold it in place. It's just a thin wire vs. the Apex has some weight to it. Update.. I'm not sure but I think RKE may have changed to a better temp probe.

One big thing I like on the Apex was the ability to name the outlets. That way I don't have to keep looking at the outlets to see what is plugged where.
    Also the Apex seemed a little more simple to program basic things like what temp should the light go off if it get's too hot. It's all there with the RKE but I had to go through extra steps to get there.

RKE has several colors to choose from for the display .. Big deal but it's kinda nice.
    Both manuals are a little weak.
    I haven't had to deal with support yet for the reefkeeper but one nice thing about the Neptune sys. support is they pick up the phone right away. .. no press this to get to this and that.Update 2013 It takes about a week to hear back from Digital Aquatic via email support..way too long
    Overall I think the Apex is a little nicer but probably not $100 nicer.. maybe $20-$30 nicer.

I have only set it up for heater , temp , PH monitoring, lights, wavemaker. .. so I know I could get a way with a $100 controller but I like this display and may use other functions in the future.
    I ended up keeping the RKE because I was tired of mailing stuff back and so far it's working great.

I tried to put this in the review section but couldn't figure out how to do it.. so please move it if you can mods.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

RKE FTW :)

I was gonna get the Apex first but after talking to a lot of people. Im going with the RKE

4. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

I currently run the Reefkeeper 2 and love it but i constantly find myself looking at the Elite and trying to justify spending the money on it.

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I like my Apex. The EnergyBar8 was bad out of box but will have my new one (as well as a second) on Friday. Already have the unit programmed and ready to go.

I like the fact the EnergyBars are metal vs. the plastic that the RKE has. However the switch on the RK's are a nice thing to have. Also the splashproof display on the RKE is a nice feature I wish Neptune had thought of. Water proof display around a saltwater tank, what a novel idea :lol: The price of the RKE has dropped and the RKE with net is now the same price as the Apex. Noteworthy as well is the SL1 with the RKE has switch inputs, where the Apex does not come with switch inputs (for float valves, etc).

6. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

Just a FYI for you you can use a mac 8 pin serial cable instead of the breakout box for float switches with the Apex. A serial cable should run you around $2 or so. ;D I have both controllers and think they both are great and both are about even. I decided on the Apex for my new tank because I hate unhooking everything on the RK to update modules.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Cool tip - thanks! Can you elaborate on how this is done?

A major part of my decision was also the fact the Apex is flash memory, vs. the RKE firmware. The web pages as well as the entire unit can be updated over the network. You have to connect each piece of the RKE up to a computer with a USB cable to update the devices, like StrainedSky said - that's a pain for me as everything with my tank is hard to reach.

Apex is 32 bit, RKE is 8 bit. That in and of itself doesn't mean much unless you run hundreds of outlets with complex programs, but in future updates, could possibly make a larger difference.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just thought I'd throw this all out there.

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

StrainedSky - can you elaborate on how this is done? It would be great to ditch my relay and wire the floats directly to the Apex.

10. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I just picked up the RKE V2 a couple days ago..
    I read the instruction manual before I hooked it up so I wouldn't miss anything, and that just confused me..

You just have to hook it up and start playing with it.. Not too confusing after you figure it out, though..

I have talked to tech guys at Digital Aquatics once, and they seem very helpful and quick to solve a problem or answer questions..

I can't wait to get the NET module running and get E-mail alerts. Hopefully I don't get alerts, but it will be nice to know I'll get one is something bad is happening..

The wavemaker and standby modes are awesome.. Hit a couple buttons and the powerheads, skimmer and whatever else you want turn off so you can feed your corals. Exit standby mode and everything turns back on like nothing happened..

I got the RKE with NET because most of my tank is automated (Kalk top-off, main lights, refugium lights, so on) and with my new job, I may be away from my reef for 24-36 hours at a time at least a couple times a week.. A lot can happen quick so it's nice knowing if I get an alert, I can have someone check my tank and fix whatever problem it may be..

I'll finish getting it hooked up with alarms and such and get back..

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, Sure is nice not having to worry about my crappy old coralife timers.
    They would stick here and there and that can cook your tank.
    My biggest gripe is not being able to name the outlets like on the Apex.

12. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

Yea there is a couple things I hope they change.. You can name the outlets using the NET module. You have to go to your online account to do so..

I really like the NET module which allows the online logging feature. It's cool to be able to see your parameters while you're away from your tank. The standby, and timer features are nice also.. I use standbys when I feed or do maintanence to my reef. It's just a push of a button, Very easy and quick.. The timers are nice because there is no way they can fail unlike mechanical timers, and you have so many options and ways to set them..

I am still very happy with this purchase. I am going to set up the alarm functions soon, and will update this thread on how that's working after I set it up.