APC Backup UPS for reef?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Hello my friend. I have sold and supported APC backups since they started. The company is located right in Rhode Island, about 30min from me. I have three APCs running my 90gal, sump/ refuge, and 29gal frag tank.

It boils down to total watts required. Though there are in our case two required watts. Start up watts and running watts. Finally of course hours of runtime required. For external return pump you're going to require a large battery backup. If not the startup load is to great and you'll smoke the backup, pump, or both.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Battery backups you want to try and buy locate. The weight of them, shipping is murder. Though I do have an outlet that you can buy refurbished/used units for short money. I'll get you that info.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks John! Interesting info. And interesting info about the Vortechs. Seems blackraven are others are using an APC UPS like I linked to and running them without problems - but I will call Ecotech tomorrow and see if they can talk straight about it.

Wow. That is double the money. Can you dumb down for me why I need that sine version? Thanks in advance!

matt

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I run two Koralia 4 pumps on a cheapo UPS I bought a while back... I know it's not a pure sine output and it works fine. It'll run the pumps for a couple hours... I don't have my return or anything else on the ups though.

1 person likes this.
  6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Very informative read, thanks everyone.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

@luisgo - still have a question about why I need sine..

I tried to call EcoTech today and they were closed. I did not see anything here that distinguishes their battery from an standard APC so far:

EcoTech Marine | Products | VorTech Battery Backup

I want to pull the trigger here but need to sort out the Vortech concerns... anybody have the skinny - let us know!

matt

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My guess, due to the brick that comes with a Vortech, is that they're using a DC motor. If you buy a battery backup from them, it's wired to provide power in DC, which is what gives them the super long run time (DC to AC is inefficient). I can only imagine that being why a battery backup less than half the size of the APC unit can provide far more run time (EcoTech claims 72 hours on an MP10).

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yes, that's correct. The Vortech backup provides DC directly to the driver.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You guys rock! Thanks.. just saw that on Dingo's thread that I jacked up. :p

I am going to go with the APC to run all and just get less run time with the Vortechs... you know.. I could just hook one of them into the backup - that would be enough to handle circulation in my 30 gallon tank. hmmm...

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok. I am ordering my apc tomorrow. I am typing this on lisa's iPhone. The power is out and has been out for hours. Transformers blew up on my block. Firemen would not even let us in the house until recently due to live wires. We just got in and my tank smells. I hooked up my marina battery air pump for the first time. So glad I finally bought that. Hoping for the best. Real back up here I come! Wish me luck. This is a long one.