Anyone with discus knowledge?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by norg., Jun 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys,
    I recently did an overhaul on my 55 gallon fresh tank. Added alot more plants, cleaned a decent amount of the gravel, added a bigger diy Co2 reactor and soon hope to be adding a new 4 bulb t5 fixture. Its coming along quite nicely. I have always loved discus and would love to keep them, now it seems like I might have the opportunity. A few months ago my pair of angelfish split and started to fight. I got ride of the male and now I only have the female, who is only about 3.5-4 inches long, a school of about 15 neon tetras, and a cory cat. My water parameters were stable even when I wasn't able to devote as much time as I wanted to for this tank. I only use RO water. I was thinking about getting a discus, however I have heard that they do not do well by themselves usually. Could I pick up three of the smallest my lfs offers and be alright? They are only about half dollar size. I plan on upgrading to a 125 or 150 as soon as I can. Will this be an issue with my angelfish?

Thanks in advance.
    -norg.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The angelfish is a more aggressive fish than the discus and could cause them to hide in fright.

4. Trebor

Trebor Bristle Worm

I had cory cats and 7 discus for 6-7 yrs, I don't believe I would put them with angel fish. "AF" are more aggressive IMO, discus more peaceful. I have always read that discus do better in bigger schools.

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

My angel was always the one getting picked on. She only made an issue with any other fish when she was mating. She even left the ghost shrimp I added alone. If she becomes an issue she will be housed in a separate tank. She has never been agressive towards any fish unless her eggs were in danger, and seeing as her mate is gone I dont think that will be much of an issue. The tank will also have plenty of hiding places if they are fighting. Could this work?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Possibly, at least you have a plan. The real issue will be the size difference. The angel will be much larger than the discus.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Thanks for your opinion. I think it could work with close monitoring. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

The angel could be a problem ( it might pick at the discus fins). But i think it could work. I have a 55, but i refrain from putting them in becasue of their delicate personality. Also make sure your water is not hard. 2 or 3 should be ok in your tank, but you must also make sure your params are nearly PERFECT. :) Hope that helped