Anyone with car knowledge here?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by norg., Mar 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I dont really plan on making this a drag car... Never said I did. I simply said I would like some increase in performance. I know a cold air intake or a chip isnt a miraculous answer to the question "how do I make my car fast without trying at all?" I respect your opinion, but I would like to do the best with what I have. What I have is a 2002 Mercury Cougar, and I dont see that changing in the near future. Contructive criticism is welcome, but if you are just going to tell me to get a new car I would rather you just dont say anything at all. Im trying to be respectful, really hard, but thank you for those that have stood up for me. All of your advice is much appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Thanks man.

1 person likes this.
  4. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Nothing wrong with mainstream at all, it is that way for a reason. The aftermarket for certain cars is huge which is why they are so popular to build. What irritates me is when people assume because something isnt cookie cutter and cant be put togther by a 3 year old that it has no potential and is a waste of money.

1 person likes this.
  5. s10lowrider1994

Forgive me if any of my comments got taken out of context, I just fail to see how some people can have such strong opinions when they obviously do not know much about the subject and when they drive junk to begin with. A vw owner telling someone they are wasting their money is the old "pot calling the kettle black". Replaced your timing belt lately?

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

are you interested in interior or exterior aesthetics? Or only performance upgrades?

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Haha. Oh man this is getting out of hand. I like some VWs, havent ever really seen a good one tricked out though. And arent the prices for VW parts through the roof? I just realized that if he has such a problem with my car then why even say anything if he has a VW? I like the cars, but as practical driving machines. So dont put mine down if you dont actually have one yourself. I would love it if you could make me eat my own words and post a pic of your car though veedub.

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i didnt read all the responses. but:

one thing to consider it keeping the car reliable if its going to be your primary transportation for many years to come. if you go with an intake system make sure you get one with a good filter. a lot of the "high flow" filters are high flow cause they dont filter anything, espicially stainless steel. they might keep a squirel from getting sucked in but wont stop dirt and dust from ruining your rings and valve seats. even the good filters must be kept up with. i see cars all the time come in for work and have CAIs that are all clogged up.

dont ellminate any PCV lines. they are good for your car, not just the enviroment

i love what is going on with computer modifications/reflash right now. that is the one "real" uprgades are in cars right now.

p.s. you know what opions are like ;D. the only thing that matters when you customize your car is that it makes the drive to work on monday morning a little easier.

1 person likes this.
  10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I am looking into a body kit. Not sure on what kind yet, but Im still browsing. I love the interior of my car. I posted pictures on the fourth page if you want to see the interior. The subs will probably happen soonest. Any performance mods that you guys are throwing out I am taking into consideration. I am probably thinking about a new intake as the first under the hood upgrade. But anything is possible, well depending on how much money I make this summer.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Haha. I like the last part. Well said. My car has been very reliable in the time that I have had it. Very happy with the quality and how it drives. And Ill try not to suck any squirrels into my intake. Haha. I will make sure to do my research on anything that I buy. Just like I do with my tanks.

12. s10lowrider1994

VWs like anything else have alot of potential, there is an mk3 gti that runs at our local track and puts down mid 5 second 1/8 mile times. But that falls in the 1% category. I dont really mind the cars, its the crowd and the attitude that comes with owning one. Again not insulting anyone but if you drive a 160hp hatchback with plaid interior, should you really be giving someone a hard time? Anyway back on subject, have you checked into the parts available for your car? I'll be the first to tell you a DIY approach will save you a ton of cash. $300 cold air intakes look pretty, but a 20 dollar cone filter and a modded airbox will give you the same numbers on a dyno. Same with an exhaust, you can fab one yourself and save a ton of money and not lose any hp over big name parts. As far as appearance goes you have a ton of options. That interior would look killer with some fiberglass work and higher end materials which alot can be done in your own garage with a little hard work. Personally I try to steer away from the typical "bolt ons" as they are overpriced and dont yield the expected results. Depending on how much you want to tear into it and how much you're willing to try on your own the sky is the limit. Any ideas of where you want to go performance wise?