Anyone with Anemone Experince

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bunner, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

Iraf,

What do you feed yours? I have had one for a few months now, but it has been getting smaller. I was not feeding it in the beginning.

2. Click Here!

3. Dobrzemetal

Dobrzemetal Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Not to step on any toes here, but I've read some species can live in aquariums for quite some time 50+ years, depending on if it gets what it needs, such as the right lighting requirements, but then again this specific anemone could have lived longer but it subsequently died from a sea water "malfunction".I personally think anemones are awesome, I would totally get one if I wasn't afraid of it destroying my corals, I think if you can provide good water conditions and lighting, why not enjoy one of these ancient animals? Also I did a little searching around and found this on the lifespans of anemones, it was pretty informative;

Among single-celled organisms, which reproduce by cell division, the concept of an individual life span loses some validity, as in a sense the individual continues to exist indefinitely. Thus arbitrary definitions of individual lives, such as the period between reproductive divisions, may be used to estimate life span, but such estimates are not comparable to those for sexually reproducing organisms. In most species the maximum life span can be estimated from the longest observed survival of individual members of the species. The maximum human life span is reported to be between 115 and 150 years. In many animals, the maximum life span has been calculated from survival in captivity, where safety from predators allows many individuals to live to an advanced old age seldom reached in the wild.

"It is said that they (anemones) are essentially immortal, showing no obvious senescence either at the individual or the cellular levels, and certainly not at the clone level in clonal species (but of course they do die from other causes, e.g. predation and disease).

A couple anecdotal examples:

Bob Paine has been watching the same Urticina crassicornis at Tatoosh Island since 1968, and it has not moved nor changed in size.

There is the story of the legendary anemone kept in Edinburgh, I think, for something like 90 years; the anemone died of a seawater system malfunction, not old age. This is reported in Ricketts and Calvin among other places.

Sources; British Sea Anemones BMLSS Information page 2

1 person likes this.
  4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

site owner lost the domain last week, link has been fixed to the new address.

1 person likes this.