Anyone whip bryopsis with Epsom Salts/mag sulfate?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by redfishsc, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

I've read up a LOT on killing bryopsis with Tech-M and other magnesium products.

I have bryopsis beginning to grow at an alarming rate in my small system (two tanks, fuge, and sump total around 45 gallons).

My nitrate is 0 and phosphate maybe .05 to .1ppm, and they have always been that way even before the bryo showed up.

Anyhow, I have kept my mag at 1500 using mag chloride, but I am going to try bumping the magnesium by 70-100 per day using magnesium sulfate to see if that helps.

I've read some thoughts on whether it's the sulfate in Kent Tech*M that kills the bryo, or copper impurities.

I'm trying the sulfate (cheap stuff from Walmart, Epsom salts) first before I buy the Tech M, we'll see what happens.

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I have been told on several occasions that only Kent Tech M works. Must be something else in there, A very reliable source told me this.

4. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

I've read the same thing, but it was often by people who first tried Mag chloride to no effect, but then tried the Tech M.

I know of a few people on RC who claimed that other products that were mostly mag sulfate or a chloride/sulfate blend also worked.

We'll see. I gave my tank a 100ppm boost yesterday with the sulfate. By gbta hated it, so I'll drop it to a 50ppm boost per day for a while and see what happens.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If I remember correctly, Tangster was fighting Brypsis a while back and he said that by raising your Mag level to 1600 or higher, can kill it, but I dont remember all the details. You may want to either PM Tangster or Amcarrig, they will get you up to speed.

Luna

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I recently erradicated Bryopsis in one of our frag tanks at work with a mixture of Tech M, and Reef Magnesium by Seachem. I used these products only because I had alot of Tech M on the shelf and the Seachem product I was blowin out for 50% anyway, all it is, is MgSO4 and NaCl...doesn't seem very balance for me, esp since I can make that at home for a dollar.
    I defeated the bryopsis without taking the Mg to 1600ish it was more like upper 1400's but in the end if you go to 1600 it won't be a big deal JUST WATCH YOUR ALKALINITY!! It tends to drop when adding alot of Mg!!
    When you start beating the bryopsis you will notice first the feathers will fall off the algae, then it will just look like hair algae and eventually you will see it slowly disappear. At least thats what happend with me.

Good luck

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Didn't work for us but we had a particularly aggressive type of bryopsis (pennata).

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yup. It's evil stuff. Tangster created a thread a year or so ago detailing everything that we tried to get rid of it.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

12. Dr.Fragenstein

What did you end up doing?