Anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by oside, Feb 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oside

oside Astrea Snail

3 times in the last week I have found this in the morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first time it was early & I wasn't really awake yet. I thought my 7 year old daughter had stuck her gum there, at least until I tried to grab it. Then I finally caught this guy/gal in the act:

[​IMG]

It was listed as a Mystery snail, started out the size of a nickel & is now about the size of a golf ball. My question is really about the eggs & how they should be handled -
    Do they need to be out of the water? How long before they hatch? Can I move/scoop them carefully?
    I like the snails actually - they do not eat my plants. Worst thing they do is dig into the substrate sometimes, uprooting shallow rooted plants.
    TIA -
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. oside

oside Astrea Snail

I thought I'd share the link that someone on another website pointed me towards - found it quite interesting/helpful for snail info.
    Apple Snails Website

I should have a bunch of baby snails in a couple of weeks - My puffers should be very happy!!

4. oside

oside Astrea Snail

Quick update -
    I get a new batch of eggs almost every week. I've had 3 batches hatch so far, & there are 3 more "incubating". My dwarf puffers seem to love them. Once hatched, most of the snails pretty much dissappear within a few hours by making their way to the substrate (or ending up as snacks forthe puffers).

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool Stuff there! You have very happy snails! ;D

6. nektyo

nektyo Plankton

Baby snails? Wow... Those are some cool pictures.