Anyone know who this snails friend is?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by lopedogg, Jun 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

There's no need to be so hostile. If you know something someone else doesn't, educate them - but don't be rude about it.

That being said, I was going to say vermatid myself...but I'll wait for the experts to chime in.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The black and white snail appears to be a Heliacus (AKA sundial/box snail), which if it is, will be eating your zooanthids if you have any. The best way to tell is to look for its telltale conical operculum when the snail is closed up (you can see a pic in that hitchiker guide, BTW). If it is indeed a sundial, you'll want to check for little white eggs in a spiral pattern on the stalks of your zoos and remove them as well.

The other two gray/brown critters are Vermetid gastropods (as mentioned previously).

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

5. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

lol Yes, it's two entertwined vermetid snails attached to a nerite (unless that's an odd Turbo, I've learned my lesson about ID'ing from one top-down photo). It's not a sundial, and it is odd to find vermetids attached to nerite shells, unless they are dead. Won't hurt anything, though.

Cheers,

Don

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You know what, looks like I was wrong, just hadn't seen ones that look like that, ten though I just had an all black stomatella show up in my tank. Relax, take a deep breath, its a snail ID, not surgery;)

7. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ohhh ok, but your so quick to judge someone else's comments and tell them they are just flat out wrong when you have no idea. Just like the other guy who was completely wrong and gave some smart a$$ response to my correct and polite initial response. I am very kind on this forum but its when people just jump to attack someone else when the person doing the attacking has no idea what they are talking about. Next time do some research before you attack someone else.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Just his modus operandi.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I honestly don't see where my response was an attack, I stated an opinion, and got this attack back. If you took it as an attack, I sincerely wrong, but I think the response was slightly hypocritical. I'll make sure if I disagree with you in the future, I'll do it much more gently. Once again, my apologies!;)

Sorry, I'll make sure my disagree with your view responses are layered in sarcasm( as per your modus operandi
    ) so its ok.:)

Once again, I was wrong, it didn't look like any vermetid I had seen before, my apologies.

And on that note, sorry OP.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

re-read your initial post. Put your self in my shoes and see how you would react. you quoted every single one of my posts and told me I was "not even close".

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

maybe, just maybe, you're posts could have been read as less than nice, maybe on the condescending/down talking level, just maybe. And I apologized and said I was wrong. DONE on this, PM me if there is still an issue. My last post on this thread.