Anyone know what's up with LED lighting?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by GoToSleep, Mar 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

While trying to get the lightest information on LED reef lighting I have been unable to pull up PFO Lighting's web site (makers of Solaris). Do ony of you know what's going on there? Has the company folded?

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I have recently seen literature from PFO so I don't believe they have folded unless it was fairly recent.
    As far as LEDs are concerned personally I think it is a couple more years out before they start becoming more affordable. It seems like they are still in the process of working out the kinks so once thats all smoothed over the price should come down.
    I did see a Solaris two years back at the annual Christmas Trade show, and while it had impressive features it wasn't BRIGHT like MH or T5... BUT the PAR was there, I have seen some LED PAR tests and they are really nice, esp for the amount of wattage used and heat put off. Not to mention how long bulbs last....

If you have the money go for it, otherwise wait, but if you do go for it I want you to tell me everything about it!! :)

Happy lighting!

4. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

PFO is for the most part out of business. They are being sued over patent infringement. Doubt you'll see any other US manufacturers of LEDs for aquariums other than the company that holds the patent. Question now is whether there will be any coming in from offshore.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Do ony of you know what's going on there? Has the company folded?

Im not sure and dont hold me to it,but when i ordered a halide fixture from hamalton a few weeks ago we were talking abut pfo fixtures.he had said to me the company is being sued and will most likely fold.he said he doesent even see them filling any out of stock items..i like there stuff i hope they pull throught what ever is going on....again please dont hold me to this info.......

6. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

7. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

Yes; an aerospace company patented the concept of LEDs on a fish tank and sued. PFO tried to rally other manufacturers to help fight, and no one stepped up. PFO looks like it is shutting down, and it may be that all LEDs for tanks, including moonlights, will be off the market soon

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's a shame...I was hoping to get one in a few yearswhen the price is competetive with halides.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Super long run time on bulb life, very low power draw, run very cool. SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!! I priced one for my 90gal, a 48" LED fixture was over $3000.00

11. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Yup. PFO seems to be gone.

LED lighting I think we go back a few years now since Orbitec will be the only company making them, and they currently do not make any aquarium fixtures.....

Kim

12. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

1 person likes this.