Anyone know what this is? **Revisit over 2yrs Later**

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin3884, Dec 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Here is an updated pic :) He's HUUUUGE...well a lot bigger than it was...i have another one poppin up on the same rock.. the guy at the LFS said he has never seen one the colors mine is :)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

wow!! Kevin that is one beautiful Fungiidae :):)

4. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

Is there any way you can frag away those zoas? I would try and get that thing on a rock by itself and let it GROW :D

5. Kevin3884

Thanks! Man i'm sure glad I didnt nuke it!...the colors of it are SOO striking, the pics really do it no justice..i'm talkin bright green, bright pink, and even some bright purplesish blue...and the smaller one looks like its going to be even brighter colored (more electric green in it). I hope I have even more babies of them...i'll frag em off the rock and be able to trade them! Tom I should send you one if I get more of them for the call on fungia :)

6. Kevin3884

The guy at my LFS says since its on a pretty bittle rock (like touch the rock and it breaks) that once it gets bigger it will eventually break loose so, i'm letting it go naturally...it got there naturally..i dont wanna chance hurting it :)

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The fungia will clear out the area for its growth by zapping anything around it. If you want to keep your zoas you might want to frag them as suggested by slowleak.

8. Click Here!

9. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

It looks more like some sort of corallimorph to me. I've not seen it in person though.

It would be extremely rare for a fungia to grow that fast. Corallimorphs don't have a stony skeleton and can grow much faster. Admittedly, I did skip to the last page of this thread... don't know what else has been suggested or if the ID has already been proven.

See here: Coral Morphologic*::*Corallimorphs*::*WYSIWYG Corallimorphs

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  10. Kevin3884

Nope, def a fungia..it has a skeleton

11. Kevin3884

Zap away..i have enough zoas to go around...and its not really effecting the zoas its been around for a long time anyhow.

12. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow. I'm really impressed w/ that growth. I've never heard of a fungia growing nearly that fast.