Anyone know what this is? **Revisit over 2yrs Later**

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin3884, Dec 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Those littler ones look almost exactly like what I am seeing in my tank, except a different color! I have at least 2 of them just popping up out of no where..lol Funny thing is...i have never had a fungia in my tank before..lol You know i also have what I thought was a dead frogspawn skeleton in my tank for like 6 months...and then a teeny tiny little frogspawn appeard on it about 2 weeks ago too...my tank is having babies of things i've never had in my tank!..lol

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

I poked it to make it recede in the tank and this is the outcome...kinda hard to tell but..it does have a skeleton it is going in to..but it doesnt really have a stalk..unless its inside the rock frag

Attached Files:

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I would leave it alone. It doesn't seem to be bothering the other coral and visa versa. It looks unique the way it is.

5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Great to hear Kevin, if your having this much luck your tank must really be thriving. Wait till that little guy puffs back up, and feed it some brine or mysis shrimp. Those little tentacles that you see should grab the food and pull it towards the mouth, you may have to turn off a few pumps to reduce the flow but it should be able to grab them. That is one of the coolest things about owning a fungia, watching it scarf down food :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Disclaimer: I'm just getting into ID'ing corals so this is all sort of nitpicking details, so keep that in mind. :)

It does look like it could be from the Fungiidae family but it's hard to tell since it's so small. Wait until it grows larger and it will be easier to tell I think. Although it really doesn't matter much in practical terms since the care is probably pretty similar to a fungia.

NeighborTom, I'm not sure that is a fungia but I can't track down the other coral it might be, it looks great though. I just saw a picture recently that was sort of similar but I can't remember where it was. There are a lot of similar corals to fungia and they are very difficult for me to distinguish between even looking side-by-side at pictures hehe.

If it is a fungia or similar that is incredible coloring for one, unless the colors were manipulated somehow.

And if anyone else is curious here is a good place to start, you can drill down through all the families/genera etc although they don't have images for everything you can google/image search for them after that although be careful about mislabeled or misidentified pictures.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleractinia

7. Kevin3884

I can assure u there is no color manipulation going on in my tank..lol heck i didnt even know what the thing was/is...lol

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I wasn't accusing anyone of manipulation, just clarifying, and was actually referring to the pic that NeighborTom posted. Sorry about any confusion, it was sort of OT anyway. :)

10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya id say a fungia from the pics nice find!!

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Screwtape, as you already know fungias come in many different colors. The babies that grow out from a "stem" look exactly like the one Kevin has posted. Especially the pic of it closed showing the skeleton. I am not trying to argue semantics with you, so please don't take this that way. But I am without a doubt, 100% sure that is a fungia :)

12. Kevin3884

I didnt find it...it found me..lol that piece has been in my tank for about 9 months...and just decided to sprout new life..lol