Anyone know what this is? **Revisit over 2yrs Later**

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin3884, Dec 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

when I took it out of the water, if kinda retracted quite a bit..but it did look and feel like a skeleton that it retracted into... (kinda like a very small frogspawn skeleton) there is another one of them on the bottom of the cluster of zoas too...and it was the same thing only smaller yet. i have never seen anything like them before..

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

More pics! More pics! It looks like a fungia, but usually they don't sprout up from no where. How long have you had that specific rock in your tank?

If its a majeno, you risk it spreading and stinging corals. I had one in my tank. Didn't have one single baby. Person I got the rock from said he's had the majeno for years and its never replicated. Others say they spread just as fast as aiptasia. That was not my exp nor the formers. Heres a pic of mine.....I nuked it just to be safe but probably could've left it.
    [​IMG]

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Ya I would take a couple of different angled shots while it is out of the water. I really don't see it being majano, for some reason fungia is still sticking in my mind... It looks a bit deformed, probably from growing between the polyps.

That would be amazing if you had an undiscovered species in your tank :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Kevin3884

Yeh it def doesnt look ANYTHING like that or any other pics I have seen of the Majenos.. it doesnt have the tentacles they seem to have..and I have had that rock in my tank for months and months...and the thing has been on there for a long time but i finally decided to find out what it is...problem is...no one knows..lol

6. Kevin3884

I tried to take a pic..but its like..invisible out of water and lights...and it receded quite a bit.... it doesnt have the tentacles that i see on the majenos, and i've not been able to locate any pics of a fungia that looks like this either..but it does appear to me to have a skeleton of some sort

7. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Ya, try to get a couple pictures with it receded into whatever skeletal structure it has. Fungias can form a stalk and grow out from live rock or other structures, making it look not so typical of their usual shape, which is what I think I am seeing here. Here are a couple pics from google search to help you compare -

[​IMG]

This one is very deformed, don't know why
    [​IMG]

Im trying to find the one's that are growing from a stalk on a piece of rock for a better visual, but google image search is proving to be difficult right now, let me see if i can dig something up for you....

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

ok my camera sucks really bad, so i took these pics with my blackberry...i believe they are 10 times better..which is sad..kodak..you stink..but anyways here are some better pics.. still searching! lol

Attached Files:

10. Kevin3884

Well i can say that the first pic def resembles the shape of the tentacles more so than any of the pics of the majeno that i have seen..

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

This is a great picture, let me see if I can find some more, in this fungias stage of development, it will have the skeletal structure similar to that of a golf "tee", that is the best way to describe it. I have had ones like this before, it looks very similar to what you are describing.

[​IMG]

The skeleton should resemble something like this, not the pointy end, but where the ball rests on top -
    [​IMG]

12. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

With that first picture you posted I am going to say that without a doubt that is a fungia, 100% no question in my mind. Here is another pic of them growing on what I think is(or was) the parent fungia that died and sprouted these guys -

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.