anyone know what the biggest size DIY fuge will fit in 55gal stand?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by billybaldwin3, Feb 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

i have a 55gal tank, and i have a 20gal long tank that i was going to DIY a fuge with, but i can't even fit the freakin thing under the stand, the openings arent big enough!

does anyone know what standard size glass tank will be able to fit below a 55 gal stand?

2. Click Here!

3. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 20l under my 55h stand. My DT is 55 gallons but its only 36" wide not the standard 48" you should have no problem fitting a 20l under your stand. You'll have to pull out the center brace to fit it in the initially. Do you have pics of the stand?

4. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

it doesn't fit. it's the standard 48 x 12 55gal. but the 20 gal long is also 12" wide, less the supports of the stand... it doesn't fit :(

5. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I had the same issues with my stock stand, so I built a custom one with doors on the sides so I can slide a 55 gall under my 90 gallon. I did in the past add reenforcements under the stand out of 2X4's and removed the panels from the side of the tank so I can slide a bigger refugium in without having to take out the center brace. In retrospect what I did was really scary, and could have ended badly, so I wouldnt do it again nor recommend it to anyone.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Make another stand that will accommodate the largest sump you desire. If you made it right you could potentially put another 55 under it if you wanted to. 40 breeder at least. Just something to think about. I've made 3 stands for all of my tanks for under 50 bux out the door at Home Depot. It's not hard and the plans for a sturdy stand are floating around here... I know they are because it's where I found the diagram for all of mine.

Otherwise you'll be stuck living with the compromise of a small sump. That carries a potentially catastrophic probability that your sump will flood. in the event your power goes out and the water starts going thru the return back to the sump until it has a break in the water line. Which could be a few gallons depending on your set up. It could work with the proper check valves and such but I couldn't live with that possibility on my tanks. I wouldn't sleep ever! Your best option is to just do it right now and make things work instead of trying to force things to work. Although you might be okay , every scenario I see coming from this is sheer disappointment.

Just my .02 hope it helps

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

roughneck storage containers times 2

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Can you put the fuge beside the tank? I did this on my 55, you then can go any size you desire. It's much easier with maintenance. I actually liked seeing my fuge on display. It's very cool. I kept it pretty clean and organized given you could see it. Also grew a lot of mangroves. A lot of people would bring that up when they came over to see the tank. It's a good conversation piece.

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I have a 90 gal and was able to fit a 30 gal underneath. I really appreciate the extra volume it provides.