anyone know how to sex a Green Terror w/o venting?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by CUCCI-WALDRON, Apr 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CUCCI-WALDRON

CUCCI-WALDRON Astrea Snail

i have a green terror named fido. anyway for about 4 months now i have been going back and forth saying it's a male and then retracting my statement and saying it is female. this is due to all of the differing info that i have been looking at.....can you sex a green terror by the color of their anal fins? if so fido's are blue. any halp would be appreciated!

thanks
    natalie & fido:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

this has a quite a few views, just no replies, so I'm going to bump it back to the top of the pile. Get it looked at some more!:D

4. CUCCI-WALDRON

CUCCI-WALDRON Astrea Snail

thanks i guess know one knows! hee hee!

5. Ant

Ant Flamingo Tongue

Males get big foreheads as they mature, takes awhile but that all i know about them, ave one in my tank, 4 months old still cant tell, so LFS told me males get big bumps on forehead.

6. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Alot of cichlids both African and South American will form a bump on their heads, some smaller and some rather large. The ones who form the bumps are 99% male but it does occur every so often on a female. It will take quite a while for the fish to mature and grow the bump though, we've got a Red Devil that is 3 years old and 8" and his bump is just starting to be noticeable.

7. cyan0304

cyan0304 Flamingo Tongue

OMG!!! I HAD a red devil and he was trully a devil. When I first got him he was 4-5 inches so I threw him in my 55 gallon tank with my Jack dempsey and a black convict. Well he ended up killing my convicts and as soon as he grew bigger than my dempsey (who is 6-7 inches long) he tried to kill him as well!! I tried everything including a fish divider. It didn't work. I had to get rid of him. Well to make a long story short I had him for almost a year and he had a huge bump on his forehead. When I took him to my lfs they had a female who also had a huge bump and was bigger than him.

8. Click Here!

9. nygkid17

nygkid17 Plankton

if the anal fin is pointed, its a male. if its a rounded fin then its a female.

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Thats not really true. I've seen males with rounded fins and females with pointed fins. It's the same thing as egg spots. Males are more likely to have a certain trait (pointed fins, egg spots) but its also common for females to have those same traits.

It's really not all that difficult to sex via venting. why are you looking to sex your terror w/o venting?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011