Anyone have XP w/ Rapids PWM Controller?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by reefmonkey, Feb 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm wondering about this controller over the Typhoon from BoostLED. If you have any experience with it please post.

Mainly what I want to know is stuff like ease of programming, does it just pop the lights on or do they start at a preset % and ramp up then back down? But anything else you feel is pertinent is appreciated also.

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great questions Mike. I think I will follow along to see what you find out.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Boost is still OOS on their controller and I'm getting impatient. Besides that I like the thermal pads over adhesive or tap/screws to mount the LEDs. My son found my set of 50 for this new build and stuck them all to construction paper. Made a pretty snow scene with dads stickers for his mom ;D.

I need to get it done now. LOL

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I own two PWM controllers from Rapid but have never tried to plug it into my computer, in fact I never saw the ability to do so...

The unit will slowly ramp up your lights to your desired %. They are easy to use and are pretty simple to setup. I know Cosmo LOVES his Typhoon controller and that does allow you to plug into your computer for further programming.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I should have been more clear. By programming I meant for the control of the channels. Not uploading/updating programs.

Will it say turn channel 1 on at a set time I pick and then turn channel 2 on at a later set time I choose? That is what I meant by programming.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

There's a reason Boost can't make them fast enough...

I'd stick with the Typhoon.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

The biggest negative I see with Rapid's controllers is you cannot control each color of LED individually. If you want to control the intensity of blue vs white you must have 2 controllers. Where as the Typhoon can achieve this as a single unit.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I know right! I saw they had them in at noon yesterday but didn't have my card w/ me. Forgot my wallet.
    Got home at 530 and they were OOS again!

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

+1 Evolved

I placed my order for only one PWM thinking it could control 9 drivers at different settings but I was wrong. So I needed to place an order for a second one and now I can have two drivers running at different times. Very solid product but overall disappointed in the PWM when it comes to cost & functionality. I plan to place an order for the Typhoon very soon!! I will be selling my PWMs if anyone is interested! :)

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL the joys of having kids.