Anyone have luck trading frags for LFS credit?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by pgreef, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

My LFS will barely give any store credit. They said they would give me $20 for 100 white pom-pom Xenia frags. So thats 20 cents per frag. It would cost me more for the LR rubble or plugs to grow the frags on.

Apparently they harvest frags from their customer's tanks that they service and maintain so they get frags for free. So it isn't just a Xenia thing. They said they would take the frags from me but I'd rather give them away or trade for that price. Problem is I only know one other person in the hobby.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

put them on here in the trading section and trade em and all you pay is shipping and the person you're trading with pays shipping....you know what I mean!

2 people like this.
  4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hi guys

my local fishstore that i been going to i took him in some frags and he giives me a break on fish or other supplies i might need for my bird or fish or whatever hes pretty cool on that

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I never even saw the trading section. Thanks.

So how do you ship corals to maximize the chance of survival? How much does shipping typically cost? I assume they need to go overnight.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

In a bag or specimen cup. Heat or cold packs as necessary, in a Styrofoam insulated shipping container, then in box. And yes, overnight.
    Have you checked with other LFS's or if you have a local reef club?

1 person likes this.
  7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

if their selling frags from customer tanks that is kind of crappy, yeah put them up here for trade/sale and they'll go to members that will take good care of them

I have a deal with the LFS i use that they sell me frags for 10% over what they pay then I promise them back 2 frags of the same item for store credit @ whole sale works out pretty well for me

8. Click Here!

9. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Thats a sweet deal Iraf

10. chalmies19832002

chalmies19832002 Flamingo Tongue

I took in some candy cane corals to a store the other day, two large frags and got twenty dollar store credit, and I guarantee they will be sole for more than that for each piece! I would rather trade people.

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

My LFS takes the coral that come in from the locals and puts them in a separate tank. Half of whatever he sells them for go to the LFS and the other goes to the person who brought it in. Kind of a win win i guess. Better than throwin it out IMO

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i think people have to realize, that they are a business and are out to make money. every penny they give you is one out of theirs, well not exactly like that but you get what i mean. I think one of the main reasons for the prices is availability, xenia's are much more common and grow like weeds vs sps's, so why would they pay alot for something that is abundant already?