Anyone have local remedies for aptasia?

Discussion in 'RARS' started by cement_skis, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

So, I went on vacation and came back to a dead mantis shrimp.....which is great because I was trying to get rid of her anyway and now I can tackle this aptasia problem. Ive tried everything except for peppermints (due to the mantis).......I ve tried injecting with vinegar and lemon juice, calcium paste and even torching them with a wind-proof lighter but nothing has been solid. I was thinking of picking up a peppermint or 2 but its my understanding that there are 2 nearly identical species.......one eats aptasia and the other wont go near it (the useless one comes from california). Anyone have success in this area?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Copper Banded Butterfly fish?

4. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

Heard alot of people mention that Joes juice. Never used it myself but seems to be the stuff to use.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

it's the same stuff as kalkwasser or pickling lime, only more expensive and runnier. I liked the Mrs. Wages and I could thicken it up a little more than the Joe J.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I believe I have some Joe's Juice left over. I will check tonight, and if I do, you are welcome to whats left.

7. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Thats very kind, thanks. Did it work out well for you?

8. Click Here!

9. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Joe's Juice worked for me. I did put peppermints in there just and case I missed any, but I haven't seen come back after initial juicing.

10. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Kleins Butterfly works well too. If you have nothing in the tank, thats what I would use. Toss in a couple peppermint shrimp and you should be fine. Whats the plan for your tank now? Sorry for the mantis loss. I have a mini mantis, your welcome to it. LOL :]

11. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

depending on ur tank situation & what you wanna go w/ maybe a copperband butterfly...feed on the regularly and make sure your water parameters are right if you go that route...if not try a group of peppermint shrimp if there is nothing in the tank that will pick on 'em...but if u wanna try getting rid of 'em urself I would try Aiptasia-X. Worked well for me and didnt have any problems even doing a heavy dosing w/ corals in the tank...but it is hard 2 remove all of 'em w/ a remedy so I'd try the copperband or the shrimp....i'm thinkin about getting a copperband for my other tank...had one before and worked great but that was a while back

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, I have zero aiptasia and left over Joe's Juice! :lol: It worked very well for me. Killed every single one. Most on the first squirt, some of the big ones took two. I also tried every other remedy under the sun. Lime juice, lemon juice, boiling water, vinegar, etc. None of those ever killed a single one for me. Even tossed in 3 peppermint shrimp only to have them not even touch the aiptasia.
    The only thing I have ever kept that was gauranteed to eat them was Copperbands ;)